• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strong Motors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Anyone know a place to get some high-power 12v or 24v motors? I'd like to avoid buying them, simply for the fun of scavenging, but I'll buy if I'm having bad luck finding things.

I know plenty of things that have 110v and 220v motors I could grab, and I know that I could take a fan motor from a car, but is there anything else that I could cannibalize from the local dump?

Powered wheelchair motors or windsheild wiper motors are the only salvagable 12v or 24v motors I can remember of the top of my head. Some HVAC and all automotive blower engines also run at those voltages but run at high speeds with relatively low torque.

if you want a REALLY high tourqe motor, get a car starter motor.

If you can come up with the amperage, you could probably spin an airplane sized propellor.

What do you need them for, Fans?

I'm actually planning to build an electric scooter. A local electronics place has a ton of UPS batteries for dirt cheap, and I'm sure I can whip up a speed controller. I'll definitely be sure to take lots of pics while I build it! I've heard that to build a decent speed one using a gas engine, it's gotta be about 3.5 hp, but most electric motors I've seen say nothing about hp, just rpm, amps, volts.

Yeah, it's not a computer mod, but you guys know salvage well, at least in the case of these ghetto mods on here all the time!

Power=Voltage * Current
That gives you power in Watts.
1 watt = 0.001341 Horsepower
When you look for a motor make sure to find one designed for continuous operation.
Starter motors, windshield wiper motors, etc... are made for short periods of operation.

go to robotcombat.com then go to the store then have a look at the motor sectrion. If you look here im certain you will find what your after....for a price.

PhoenixMDM said:
I'm actually planning to build an electric scooter. A local electronics place has a ton of UPS batteries for dirt cheap, and I'm sure I can whip up a speed controller. I'll definitely be sure to take lots of pics while I build it! I've heard that to build a decent speed one using a gas engine, it's gotta be about 3.5 hp, but most electric motors I've seen say nothing about hp, just rpm, amps, volts.

Yeah, it's not a computer mod, but you guys know salvage well, at least in the case of these ghetto mods on here all the time!

Alot of electric scooters that I have seen, use 1/3 horse motors, I don't think I have ever seen one above 1/2. For salvage, you should also look at electric tow motors, or fork lifts...whatever you like to call them.

Last edited:
Hm, good to know that wheelchair ones use such low HP... That explains why I've had trouble finding a motor, I've been looking at gas engine designs mostly since the guides online tend to be for engines. Also good to have that watts/hp conversion!

Those surplus center ones seem to be good prices. I'll take one last look at the local place (they've usually got stuff wicked cheap), and then get something.

Now of course, the obligatory question: Any ideas for some nifty electronic gizmos for it? I'm thinking about some sort of spedometer using a PIC chip and a light sensor, but what else? This is overclockers, it's gotta end up having some ridiculous mods!

Well, shouldn't it have a propane flame thrower? (out the back of course, wouldn't want to drive into the fireball and become one) :D

GE used to make an electric lawn tractor/mower with a nice chain drive and a transaxle with a 5 speed stick. That would have all you'd need including the charger. Just a single deck motor would move you along I believe.
Maybe there's an electric push type lawnmower around there too, they're getting popular in places and have a pretty good motor.

Hmmm. Use an inverter and a garage door opener?..yeah, maybe too much for a cheap inverter to handle.

JFettig said:
might want to take a peek at those dimensions, not sure what size you are looking at but those two motors are huge o_o

the 1/3 is nice though cause its 12v as opposed to its 32V cousin there.

small thread jack... HOLY CRAP look at this blower, Dont even want to know how much dB that is http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005052012454725&item=16-1279&catname=electric it claims to be quiet operation but....

JFettig said:

Just realized that the 1/3 hp cannot be used 100% of the time it says under 'duty cycle' that it can be used for 30 seconds, and then must cool for 1 minute.

Watts/hp varies VERY widely depending on the quality of build, but I believe it is in the 760W/hp range.

For a cool mod go with the flame thrower idea...but maybe napalm instead :p

I saw a guy mod his beemer w/ 3 red laser pointers, like on alien, and then a flip down license plate that revealed two model rocket launchers :D...

My brother made an electric car for his engineering and design class. He used a car starter motor, and had the option to overvolt it, giving low and high speeds. It was connected to two car batteries, and I'm guessing the overvolt added in the second battery for 24V operation. Of course you have to be careful not to burn up the motor.

It was built on a go-kart like chassis, and that sucker wasn't slow. I think it went about 25-30mph. Might be a good option if you can pick up a starter motor for cheap out of a junker car.

Back