• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's TT Sonic Tower Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sentential said:
Like Ive said, its light, no heavier than an XP120.

may be no heavier but because of it's height it will cause more of a strain on the mobo than a xp120 which is the only reason i might be concerned about it.

if only we didnt have that darned gravity

darkknight187 said:
may be no heavier but because of it's height it will cause more of a strain on the mobo than a xp120 which is the only reason i might be concerned about it.

if only we didnt have that darned gravity

why not just do some zip tie linkage and restrain it on one of the holes on your case? ;)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 2,138
XP-120: 370g
TT: 692g

How is it not heavier than the XP-120?

We can all complain about it being TT, and it's a little heavier, and blah, blah, blah. But let's face it, if your looking for performace, Sen is saying the Sonic Tower beats the XP-120. Point. Blank. And who has ever broken a motherboard because of weight? Would a company really release a heatsink that was could damage a customer's motherboard? I doubt it. That and there are heatsinks close to 1kg out right now, so this is not the heaviest heatsink in the world. I'm a TR fanboy too, but if something is better, let's give it a chance. I'd love to see other people try this heatsink and report back about it.

you know when I saw it I thought it would perform well. It is good to see someone from ocforums confirm that. I would definitely consider it in a horizontal case.

I wish TT would make a slight change to the design by having the heatsink parallel to the air flow to the exhaust, instead of vertical.

FSBxtreme said:
I wish TT would make a slight change to the design by having the heatsink parallel to the air flow to the exhaust, instead of vertical.

I agree about the positon and it just looks cheap.

I dont know if its worth changing out my new hyper 48 with a 70cfm fan on it.

psyshack said:
I agree about the positon and it just looks cheap.

I dont know if its worth changing out my new hyper 48 with a 70cfm fan on it.
No no no, What you guys dont understand is that you can position this anyplace you want. I CHOSE to put it that way so that the exaust goes to help cool the psu.

If I wanted it the other way I could easily do such

magick_man said:
can you run it passive or is the might of the pressy too much for mere convection alone?
This running passive with 1.48v could keep it under 65C* in BIOS @ 4ghz (didnt know that until the next boot)

So if you are talking pure stock volts I would say yes, it should do that quite well.

mista ting said:
why not just do some zip tie linkage and restrain it on one of the holes on your case? ;)

good idea now if i can just muster up the cash....besides if it was able to cool that well i would just lay the case down so that all the pressure goes down onto the mobo...

also i like how sen has it set, with 3 fans on it he could have it either sending a breeze towards the cpu as it is now or he could have it pulling down and giving the backside of his videocard a bit of air current.

Definately alot of possibilities if you go with this heatsink modded to use atleast 2 fans and a spacer in the middle to keep air from escaping it's path or 3 fans.

Also for sen, just out of curiousity is this thing lapped? i'm going to assume yes, but if it's not do you have any plans of lapping it to see how much better it will perform?

SEN! ur my hero...i never thought anyone as popular as u on this forum would FINALLY prove people wrong...that Thermaltake DOES come up w/ good ideas many times, its just people who dont even try their ideas....THANK U SEN!!

jcw122 said:
SEN! ur my hero...i never thought anyone as popular as u on this forum would FINALLY prove people wrong...that Thermaltake DOES come up w/ good ideas many times, its just people who dont even try their ideas....THANK U SEN!!
:shrug: What can I say...... I cant deny the truth. it IS better than the XP120. Both for compability and peformance

Sentential said:
No no no, What you guys dont understand is that you can position this anyplace you want. I CHOSE to put it that way so that the exaust goes to help cool the psu.

If I wanted it the other way I could easily do such

From what I saw of the sink at a pc-club store it would have to go on my a64 board like you have it. If it would mount facing the back of the case where I have 2ea. 80mm fans this mite be worth looking into. OOO and the center fan mount mod makes alot of sense. :)

I thought it could have potential, I wonder what TR could do with a similar configuration using two XP120s as the basis. IIRC someone soldered or welded two XP120s together & it worked fairly well but was ugly ;).

Moto7451 said:
I thought it could have potential, I wonder what TR could do with a similar configuration using two XP120s as the basis. IIRC someone soldered or welded two XP120s together & it worked fairly well but was ugly ;).
Yea they outta just rip the design and improve it... I doubt they'd have too much trouble making it as good and freaking TT takes ideas all the time.

CrashOveride said:
Yea they outta just rip the design and improve it... I doubt they'd have too much trouble making it as good and freaking TT takes ideas all the time.
that may be so, but I havent seen a similar design from anyone that resembled the sonic tower

LOL, turn it 90 degrees, add a shroud and rear exhaust ducting and viola! It's a DELL :)

Hmm...I'm going to have to look into grafting that onto a GFX card just for sh!ts and giggles. :thup:

Back