• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's TT Sonic Tower Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
consumer9000 said:
LOL, turn it 90 degrees, add a shroud and rear exhaust ducting and viola! It's a DELL :)

Hmm...I'm going to have to look into grafting that onto a GFX card just for sh!ts and giggles. :thup:

Actually that would be the "silent Tower", Which I have given a try.

I'm not too surprised by this. I had som enice results using a Silent Tower on my A64 3500. However, there were some mounting issues with the Silent Tower, and I had to mod the fan shroud in order to get the fan to blow rearward. After the mod though, the Silent tower kept the temps in the mid-high 50s at load, high 40's at idle. Thsi was with th efan barely moving. At full speed, if I remember correctly the idle temps remaind about the same but the load temps dropped by 3-5 degrees.

And true to its name, it was darn near silent.

Moto7451 said:
I thought it could have potential, I wonder what TR could do with a similar configuration using two XP120s as the basis. IIRC someone soldered or welded two XP120s together & it worked fairly well but was ugly ;).

i would say they would probably just stick fins the whole way down the heatpipes as suggested earlier in the thread....

can it be turned in a 939 mobo,,,

and i dont know if this was posted but here it goes
but wait for the other pictures

Attachments

• 1_g.jpg
    1_g.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 2_g.jpg
    2_g.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 3_g.jpg
    3_g.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 134
  • 4_g.jpg
    4_g.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 5_g.jpg
    5_g.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 144
here its is..

Attachments

• 6_g.jpg
    6_g.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 7_g.jpg
    7_g.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 8_g.jpg
    8_g.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 9_g.jpg
    9_g.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 161
:rolleyes:

sorry its not mine i forgot to say that,, wait let me check it then i will bring up the numbers(though its not in english)..

dame
the difference from [1][0][0] and [1][1][1] is 7.5. nice....

i use a [0][0][0] for now, but gonna change (after the info i saw) to a
[1]==[0][0][1] (== is duct) + i think i'll close it, so no hot air will return to case

any opinion?

As most of u know i was down on my luck getting laid off, but just recently i got UI benefits so im getting paid for free :) and i got a little cash job so im back in the cash flow.
So i ordered myself a x2 3800 and ive seen that the xp-90 just wont cut it so i was gonna get a si-120 but after reading this i went out and got one of these babies
i got it for 55 canadian not badthe si-120 would have cost me more with shipping and customs charges so im pretty happy about that. Cant wait till my cpu gets here should arrive tomorrow.
I just have a little question i got 2 63cfm fans 23dba i dont like noise :)
I placed one fan in the middle and tied some grabage bag ties but i cant get the fan in the middle to not touch the fins what should i do ?

Oh ya how much cfm are ur fans on ur tt?

Last edited:
Sen bent his pipes to make his fit, I asked him in another thread.

Very very nice.

Did you lap the bottom? I've found that my Big Typhoon needed a decent lapping session. Not as bad as a VGA Silencer (I could have filed out of prison using it!) but it definitely benefited from some lapping love.

I dont have any tools o lap it and i dont feel like doing it by hand :)
the base was pretty smooth though so i dont think it would make a big dif.
Im just wondering if i should get more cfm fan? 63 x2 sound good enough?
Checked ups its out for delivery hope it arrives soon

wow I just saw this review but I have a few questions such as how many mounts did you do to get those temps, did you use the same TIM for both sinks, what was your ambient temp (and was it the same for both test) and finally what did you use to get the temps? It is nice to see TR being challenged for once

I had this sink in hands - there's no problem to put 25mm fan in middle. Along iwth dual 25 or 38mm fans on sides, it can cool really well. Heatpipes-base mounting looks very interesting. Base finish could be better, so some lapping might help.

The only problem is torque - tons of torque. You just have to mount this sink to case. With triple fans, I think that it should cause around 4x more stress on CPU and mobo than all-copper Zalman 7000. I've posted about Sonic Tower torque issue before, so if someone's interested, you can do some search.

Now we need test - triple fan Sonic Tower Vs Typhoon Vs new Thermalright tower with dual fan Vs Scythe Ninja with dual fan

Ven0m said:
Now we need test - triple fan Sonic Tower Vs Typhoon Vs new Thermalright tower with dual fan Vs Scythe Ninja with dual fan
I think I'm gonna go get some longer screws and mount my 120x38mm 140CFM Delta on my Typhoon. I never thought I'd have any need for that much airflow, but this X2 is proving me wrong. :)

Back