• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok here are some conspiracy theories:

I don't know if any of you guys know this but Sony referred to Xbox 360 as Xbox 1.5 indicating that their stuff will look much better and now that we have seen hardware specs that could be the case.
Microsoft probably got some leaked info about PS3 early on and they figured out that their only chance would be to launch their console first and spend enormous amount of money on marketing and do same thing that they did with Halo 2 (which in my opinion sucked, Rainbow Six 3 still rules)
Many people are indicating Xbox 360 to be next Dreamcast and you know what that means.
Nintendo isn't revealing anything yet and they probably won't untill 2006, meaning that they will wait untill both consoles hit the market and then release something that will crush them both in order to redeem themselves. Cause let's face it if Nintendo does the same thing that they did with GameCube then they will take the same train wagon that Sega did and only make games and not the hardware.
Nintendo Revolution could be the last console done by Nintendo, but I believe that they will come out with something that will blow us away.

I don't know about you guys but I'm more interesting in seeing on how the wars between the next-gen consoles will turn out than actually playing them.

Dracknem said:
The PS3 is now official. It also looks much better than X-box 360 imo. Anyway, all the info is over here on ign from Sony's press-conference.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html

up to 7 bluetooth controllers apparently. lol, what does one do with so many? And apparently you can link it to PSP with wifi.

Dude, nice find! This is great. we are finally getting some solid info on these things!

Those specs are confusing as heck though. There is really no way to put a finger on or even speculate about performance. I can't wait to see some in gmae footage.

I wonder how they'll cool the Cell. Wasn't it suposed to run close to 90 degrees C at those speeds (from the presentation).

So I guess we have a war between two mini bread maker look-a-likes on our hands now, lol. Maybe Revolution will look like a toaster, lol. Or maybe its the battle of the ipod-mac vs the flatbed scanner. Both should look nice in silver right above my Harmon Kardon reciever :drool:

EDIT:

For price I'll bet they do the same thing MS did and release it around $300. Possibly higher for the first batch to get the latest & greatest at any cost crowd, but it should quickly drop to a price close to the 360. They will obviously be spending more money to build theirs with Blu-ray and 8 cores on cell, but they shouldn't have a problem eating the lose. MS might decide to adopt Blu-ray when its ready, bring production prices of both units even close togather. We should benifit from price cuts just like we did with this generation of consoles.

As for what ram system will be faster, we can say that bandwidth will be close to the same, but I can't wait to find out how things are bus'ed. That should be the deciding factor for ram performance. Both units have the same ammount and the BW is what, 22-25 gb/s? Freaking awsome, but how will it be allocated and bus'ed around???

As for Unreal 3 (engine & game if they decide to make one), it should run easily on either system. Also, isn't MS the publisher for all things Unreal now? Would that effect licencing uses for multiplatform gaming? Either way, thats not something I'd worry about. There are always pleanty of engines for consoles.

Last edited:
This is cool. I honestly don't like how tou can change face plates on the xbox. Seems a little bit like a cheap kid add-on to me. I do like how the PS3 is silver thats nice, I am a bit sad about the controler change but oh well it was bound to happen. As of now I am deffiently leaning towards the PS3. As for price last two were 300 bucks luanch. Places just jacked up prices they were so rare. So I would geuss about 3 months after the luanch once sales have calmed some around 350-450. Which isnt bad considering a lot of you have graphics cards that cost more then that.

tenchi86 said:
This is cool. I honestly don't like how tou can change face plates on the xbox. Seems a little bit like a cheap kid add-on to me. I do like how the PS3 is silver thats nice, I am a bit sad about the controler change but oh well it was bound to happen. As of now I am deffiently leaning towards the PS3. As for price last two were 300 bucks luanch. Places just jacked up prices they were so rare. So I would geuss about 3 months after the luanch once sales have calmed some around 350-450. Which isnt bad considering a lot of you have graphics cards that cost more then that.

I agree. After the initial craziness wears off I think things will be right around $300 (bit lower than you, but close enough).

ps I love E3. This is the best time of year for gaming, just ahead of the xmas gaming season.

Check this out.
Must play Killzone 2, best graphics I have ever seen in actuall gameplay. This game will kill Halo and I don't think that any game outhere or in the future can look as good as this. It looks like prerendered CG :drool:

I don't need to see anything else from Sony cause I'm sold, now its Microsofts turn.

until i see someone playing it with a controller, it is prerendered, and no indication of how good it will really be

To me it seems the PS3 is a pure dedicated gaming machine, while the XBOX is a gaming machine w/ home entertainment options. Personally if I buy a gaming machine I want it to do one thing and one thing only; and thats play games.

Spec wise I think XBOX might be more future proof due to the 3 cpus. I know PS3 has "The Cell", but do any of us actually know anything about its performance. Let alone if developers will accept it as not being too difficult to program for.

If I was MS I would launch at $450-$500 for the Xmas season. Then drop is down $50. When PS3 launches I would keep the price the same or drop to meet PS3's price, and then include one of the launch titles and call it a "bundle". MS's goal is not to sell X amount of consoles by X date. Its going to be how many future PS3 owners can we have switch to our side before the PS3's launch.

Nintendo's conference is tomorrow and I am really excited. I have already made up my mind I'm not going to be buying their hardware, but I really want to know what revolution is. I am hoping for an actual real live Pokemon.

cack01 said:
To me it seems the PS3 is a pure dedicated gaming machine, while the XBOX is a gaming machine w/ home entertainment options. Personally if I buy a gaming machine I want it to do one thing and one thing only; and thats play games.

Spec wise I think XBOX might be more future proof due to the 3 cpus. I know PS3 has "The Cell", but do any of us actually know anything about its performance. Let alone if developers will accept it as not being too difficult to program for.

If I was MS I would launch at $450-$500 for the Xmas season. Then drop is down $50. When PS3 launches I would keep the price the same or drop to meet PS3's price, and then include one of the launch titles and call it a "bundle". MS's goal is not to sell X amount of consoles by X date. Its going to be how many future PS3 owners can we have switch to our side before the PS3's launch.

Nintendo's conference is tomorrow and I am really excited. I have already made up my mind I'm not going to be buying their hardware, but I really want to know what revolution is. I am hoping for an actual real live Pokemon.

Totaly agree PS3 will be pure gaming machine and as for Cell processor I heard a while back that it will be very easy to work with.
I can't wait to see what Halo 3 will look like.

Looks like MS is going to launch Halo 3 the same time as PS3. To me this means two things.

1. If sony rushes PS3 out then Halo 3 will likely be rushed out the door. Hopefully Microsoft is not stupid enough to go quanity over quality.
2. Sucks for who ever works at video game stores on launch date.

I finally just watched to killzone 2 video. Do we know if that is actual "in game"?

Graphics are good but I wouldnt say it will beat halo just because it has good graphics. Personally I dont like halo that much. I am a UT guy myself(cant beat the speed) but non the less I wouldnt jugde a game by graphics. Also I heard the cell is supposed to be easy to program on. So should be good for devolpers. The main question is, how many people relieze there is a PS3 even coming out. A lot of my friends saw the xbox thing and were amazed saying they are going to get it. Yet only 2 of them knew a PS3 was coming out. This could be a big chance for MS to gain some ground. Some ground it really needs if it ever wants to be called top dog.

Wow that Blu-ray format is interesting and it will be primary for PS3, 50GB of data storage :drool:
As more I watch about PS3 less I'm thinking about Xbox 360. It's clear that PS3 will come out on top.

tenchi86 said:
Graphics are good but I wouldnt say it will beat halo just because it has good graphics. Personally I dont like halo that much. I am a UT guy myself(cant beat the speed) but non the less I wouldnt jugde a game by graphics. Also I heard the cell is supposed to be easy to program on. So should be good for devolpers. The main question is, how many people relieze there is a PS3 even coming out. A lot of my friends saw the xbox thing and were amazed saying they are going to get it. Yet only 2 of them knew a PS3 was coming out. This could be a big chance for MS to gain some ground. Some ground it really needs if it ever wants to be called top dog.

Microsoft is the king when it comes to marketing, just take Halo 2 for ex. That game sold more copies than any other before even though it wasn't that good.

cack01 said:

No way, the PS2 and the Xbox are equally home entertainment systems, why would Sony give a huge chunk of the market to Microsoft? They won't. That thing will be wired for movie, photo, and game playback equally. Cmon, look at the PSP even! You can buy movies on UMD discs, therefore Sony will include at least DVD (blu-ray and regular) playback like the PS2.

*ahem*

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-R

Back