• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some remarks on the controller

You know what they said about it, you could sit down on the couch and turn on the ps3 by throwing the controller

At least when you get ****ed off and throw a controller it'll come right back.

theMonster said:
You've BEEN able to run Linux forever on the DreamCast, Xbox and PS2 :rolleyes:
Yes the streaming music part is true but whether that requires MediaCenter XP or just MediaPlayer 9&10 is still being debated

Yes, I know. I meant between the PS3 or Xbox360. Of course, its inevitable that someone's going to figure it out.

Any ideas for how these things keep cool? Only thing I can think of is throttling down the clock speed based on the game's demand. Heat tolerances for consoles must be larger due to the wide array of environments they'll be played in.

RedDragonXXX said:
I feel you Atari, I had really good thing going with Computer Science (VB, C++) and was going to take it as my major untill I found out that all of those jobs are being shipped to India. I had to switch to Computer Engineering and sub-major in Computer Networking, damn :bang head and I thought that I was going into gaming business.

P.S. Noob I got all that info from the Sony Conference.

Ah...

Yeah, but they tend to market stuff like its better than God. I really want to see how Cell turns out, but I won't take the word from the horses mouth. Once some semi-impartial reviewers get a hold of it, gaming community experts (devs and stuff) and fellow gamers I'll take more stock in performance claims.

MS's stuff is a lot different than a mac/ATI card, but isn't so different that we have no idea what to expect.

PS3's stuff is just a mystery at this point and Cell could be faster than God or it could be about the same as the tri-core 360 chip.

I'd like to see something other than marketing before deciding how special this chip is.

In addition, the whole system is a mystery. I can't wait to see what kind of architecture is linking both systems' cpus. With massive proc power, massive gfx power and some of the faster ram around in both systemes, A LOT is going to be riding on how the information is transfered and handled between major components.

Very exciting indeed (atleast for a geek like me).

C0oLl2iCef0o said:
Some remarks on the controller

You know what they said about it, you could sit down on the couch and turn on the ps3 by throwing the controller

At least when you get ****ed off and throw a controller it'll come right back.

lol, that the first time I've heard that one.

Thats funny.

ps has NV released any specs on the gfx chip for the PS3? It should be very telling when it comes to NV's next card or two.

Last edited:
OC Noob said:
ps has NV released any specs on the gfx chip for the PS3? It should be very telling when it comes to NV's next card or two.

I don't think so. They released clock speeds, but no pipe info. I think the clocks were roughly 550 core and 700 mem. They didn't release how many pipelines it's got. The ATi card on the XB360 has 48 shared shader/vertex pipes. I'm willing to bet the nv card on the PS3 has fewer pipelines (probably dedicated pipes), and that's why Sony's not giving that information out... because it would make it sound like their graphics hardware is slower than the XB360's. This is probably why they're spending so much time hyping the cell processor.

am i the only one who noticed that it says it will have something like 2tflops of processing power?

and the xbox360 has somethign similar.. or so it says

if thast true each console.. by themselves.. would be on the list of the top 500 supercomputers

let me put this in perspective...

288 AMD opteron-200 cpus in a cray XD1 supercomputer is 1.2tflops

fiji said:
am i the only one who noticed that it says it will have something like 2tflops of processing power?

and the xbox360 has somethign similar.. or so it says

if thast true each console.. by themselves.. would be on the list of the top 500 supercomputers

let me put this in perspective...

288 AMD opteron-200 cpus in a cray XD1 supercomputer is 1.2tflops

The 2 tflops is only for the graphics, and they are for very graphics specific calculations, they have no practical use outside of graphics, and I belive they are only 64-bit fp calculations, single precision meaning only 4 decimal places. The Cell has 288 Gflops but those are also specialized, and are single precision, in double precision, the way flops are normally measured the numbers are far less for any category. I imagine on that supercomputer those are double precision calculations.

I'm watching Tech TV at E3 and they've talked to two people in charge of PS3 and Killzone, both say that Killzone 2 was 100% real running real-time.

Beek one of the guys working on Killzone said it was not real-time. Its was just a representation of how they want it to look and feel. Just like the Madden commercial two weeks ago.

Also Theinquirer stated that when combined with the Cell, the Rsx can deliver 2 Tflops. Not sure if that is combined, or if that means the Rsx on its own.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23277

This Article over at Hard OCP gives some decent detail on the Graphics Cards of both systems. There are more details on the ATI Card. They spoke to a guy at ATI, interesting read

EDIT: Another Article here

Last edited:
Back