• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which burner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilAerosolCan

I've looked around a little bit and seen good things about the NEC 3520 and Pioneer 109. I was also looking at the Samsung TS-H552U on Newegg, and I think it looks pretty cool. But anyways, out of these three (or make suggestions if you want), which is the best? Money doesn't concern me, as DVD burners aren't really that expensive. But like I said, it doesn't have to be one of these, I just want something that won't make me worry about coasters every time I burn a CD/DVD. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129161
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152038
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151075

(I hope the links work)

It depends on your priorities. Do you want Dual Layer burns? What kind of discs are you going to buy for burning? Will you also want quality CD burning? Do you want to have a DVD writer that allows you to check the burn quality?

Yes I would like to have dual layer burning. Any extras that will help quality and cut down on bad burns, like that quality checker of which you speak, would be cool. I will also be burning lots of CD's, so something with quality CD burning is a must. I'm not sure what kind of disk's would provide better quality, but I'll look into that once I get my computer up and running.

When I mention "DVD writer that allows you to check the burn quality", that 'check', that quality test is exactly that - you put in the drive whatever CD or DVD burnt in that same writer or burnt in other and, with the use of the proper software like Nero CD/DVD Speed, or DVDInfo, KProbe (for Lite-On writers), or even Plextools (for Plextor drives) you check about the burn quality of the CD or DVD.
If that test results are not good that can mean:
- the CD/DVD media used is not good
- the writer does not like that brand of CD/DVD medias
- the writer is not working as it should
Well, I think you got the point.
So, is that feature important for you?

I just remembered more features that you might want:
1. Lightscribe support
2. DVD-RAM support
3. Dual Layer -R support
Let me know.
Also note that there isn't one writer that supports all features that I've talked about. So, you have to decide what you really want.

Anyway, I think you should pick one of these:
- Benq 1620 (or 1620 Pro)
- Lite-On 1673 (or the recent 1693 which not only burns Dual Layer +R discs like the 1673, but also DL -R discs)
- Plextor 716A (not cheap)

NEC 3520 - awsome 3rd party firmeware support - i own one and love it!

dont go lite on - i have read nothing but bad reviews on them and their "quality" of burns.

I have a NEC 3500A, and I've had zero problems with it. Rock solid, and fast burns with zero 'coasters'. I have heard that the 3520 is a step above the the 3500A...

So, I can bet that the 3520 would be an excellent choice.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
3250...?
I'm sure you meant 3520 ;)
It is not a good option if you want official support for bitsetting and if you want to make quality tests.

Hirlix said:
3250...?
It is not a good option if you want official support for bitsetting and if you want to make quality tests.
*Looks Back at old post*

Wow... I must've been half asleep while typing that...

and yes, I meant the 3520 and 3500. A quick edit and the errors are no more!

Super :attn: I guess I'll go with the 3520. That's the one I was really leaning towards anyways. Does anybody have any experience with that Samsung that I linked to up top? Or is it just a POS? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Samsung has been having issues... So, not the best bet.
As for the 3520, as I told before, it has not bitsetting support and doesn't allow to test burned discs.

Recently, I bought Benq DW1620 Pro and I'm -=PLEASED=-. It's good, fast, has great software and nice firmware hacks (MCSE). It can read disks nicely too - burnt full DVDs <5 minutes and slows down, when you watch movies.

One more vote for the NEC ND-3520A. It does detect C2 errors, and can support bitsetting through the use of 3rd party firmware. I've used both the 2510A, and 3520A. Rock solid reliablity, quiet, and excellent burns.

You'll want the 3rd party firmware regardless (even with most drives) to eliminate the "riplock" (reduces speed while ripping discs), and to support bitsetting.

Hirlix said:
3250...?

Who needs official when you have awsome 3rd party stuff ;)

Back