• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Budget upgrade from 2.53ghz 533fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

My bro has a northwood 2.53ghz 533fsb and he wonts a cheap upgrade as 800fsb northwoods and prescotts cost to much, and he has a asus p4p800se 478 mobo and ddr400 ram i was thinking a celly D fits the bill.
Just wondering which celly d is the best for him to overclock it not taking the fsb over 200 as he has generic ram.

I was thinking the 2.6ghz is best suited as its only £2 more then the 2.53ghz is the only diff between them 0.5 higher multi?
What cpu do you guy recommend?

And yes his 2.53ghz northy dont overclock at all 2.7ghz is the max and it dont matter how much vcore it gets, i may buy it of him as i have a old 478 mobo laying about so the celly d wont cost him much.

unless he is willing to overclock, don't bother with a Celeron, as a P4 is faster than a celeron at the same clock speeds.

2.6ghz runs on the 800FSB. So it's not a matter of larger multiplier but higher bus speed (actually lower multiplier).

Look around, i'm sure you can find some people that are selling P4C northwoods fairly cheap.

Know Nuttin said:
2.6ghz runs on the 800FSB. So it's not a matter of larger multiplier but higher bus speed (actually lower multiplier)

I was talking about the 533fsb celly D, anyhow for a cpu to have higher clockspeed and the same fsb it has to have a higher multi.

my bad, thought you were talking about P4, and not celeron.

I still stand by my last statement. You won't really notice anything better about the Celeron D than the P4. At those clock speeds, the P4 will be faster.

Pricewise, the Celeron's are very nice. If he doesn't do too much, go for the Celeron D. I'm just making you aware that it is not really a forward step, it's almost a backwards step, a bit sideways ;)

The current 2.53 Northwood P-4 only will O/C up to 2.7 gig. Almost any Celeron D will O/C up to at least 3.4 gig (or more). That easily makes up for the difference in cache. The Celly D will definitely out perform the old 533 bus P-4. You are wise to shoot for 200 FSB, not only for the RAM, but also anything above 200 FSB on that mobo will disable the PAT. So, if you are set on getting a Celly D, I would go for a 2.4 and run it at 200 FSB, that will give you 3.6 gig and a nice performance boost. If he has good cooling, maybe try a 2.53 Celly D (make sure you get an E0 stepping) and go for 3.8 gig. Might wanna update the BIOS first though.

The bios has been flashed and the version supports the celly D.
The heatsink he is using is a artic cooling one that says it is good upto a P4 3.4ghz would that do for a celly D clocked at 3.6ghz?

Yes, I have a buddy running a Celly D at 3.5 gig using the stock cooler. The only reason he don't O/C higher is that he wants to stay at default voltage.

What is the stock vcore? is it 1.4v like a pressie?

Back