• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 9300 or 6000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I was wondering which is better. The only really big differences I have seen between them is the 6000 has more screen options by one but the 9300 uses a 533Mhz bus. Which would you all prefer over the other?

I want it for working on my software developement but also for gaming when I need a break from code.

Give me your thoughts!

TIA.

biggest difference besides for the screen is the 9300's option to get the 6800go vs. the 6000's x300 (which is also available on the 9300). and both of them have the sonoma cpu's with a 533fsb. personally i'd get the 9300 if you got the money, simply for the bigger screen (higher res is always better for coding) and better video card. you don't pay a huge permium either if you get it with the dell coupons.

Is the Sonoma CPU a good one? I am not big on Pentiums since I have built my AMD desktops for the last 10 years or so.

The Sonoma is the new Dothan, they are quiet amazing. I hear they are comparable to a FX Series Proc at the same speeds....

intel makes awesome mobile cpu's. their desktop cpu's are controversial to say the least, but their laptop cpus are the best at the moment bar none. very powerful while still maintaining very good battery life and low heat output.

I just got the i9300 today. It is the size of a small country but its one hell of a laptop.

It really is huge, but for gaming it is incredible. Go with the 6000 if you only do light gaming. I'm currently playing guild wars at 1900x1200 with the 6800go.

Plus if you have an LCD you plan to hook up to your laptop, the 9300 has DVI out. The 6000 doesn't. I'm currently looking at these two laptops as well, and mainly because of that reason think I'll go with the 9300

Go with the 9300. I am looking to grab this sick laptop in the next week or two and I can't wait. the 6800 ultra with the Pentium M kicks major butt. light gamer, look at the Sager 3880, its new and has the 6600Go and the 533FSB Dothans. 15.4 with widescreen. I can't decide between the two.

i just got my 6000 today. very nice.

let me tell you, the computer flies with a gig of 533 ram.

i dont game much so i wanted something smaller. this thing is the biggest id want to carry around with me during the day though, gaming or not

i got the 9cell battery with it. about 7lbs with everything in. not too bad.

havent gamed yet, but will try some older unreal04 and such.

if you want to game, get the 9300, but itll cost more. i couldnt imagine carrying around a 9300 as its nearly 3 inches bigger! yike!

If I had the money I would go with the 9300. But I do have experience with the 6000, and it is a great bang for the buck! It has the Dothan 730 proc (the 533mzh fsb version) and of course on the Sonoma platform.

Are you going to game a lot? If yes then get a 9300, if not as much then get the 6000 with the x300 128meg card or even *gulp* built on Intel Express 900.

Are you carrying it everywhere you go? Then get a 6000.

Is money a factor? If yes get the 6000, if no then spend $400+ and get the 9300.

depends what you wanna do with it, like everyone says. i have my 1.6 with 1gig of 533 6000, and it runs winamp fine :)

9300 are nice, but too big for my back. after all, isnt the point of a desktop to game? and a laptop to be lightweight and perform well in IE?

9300 is clearly the better laptop in terms of performance and features. The main difference will be the screen 17 in vs 15.4, video card option, size, weight and cost. The rest you can configure pretty much identically. If you want a full on desktop replacement i suggest the 9300. If you want something alittle cheaper and a bit lighter/easier to carry around get the 6000.

I got the 6000 recently and i'm quite satisfied with it. There is one thing you should know though, dell ships 533 mhz fsb systems with 400 mhz ram. Kind of lame but benchmark wise they perform the same due to the timing (3-3-3-8 vs 4-4-4-11). Also, it is cheaper to get new memory from newegg then choose the upgrade option from dell, especially if your going to want 1gb+.

i just ordered a 6000 with 256meg of RAM to upgrade.
9300 just seems to be too big, plus i do all my gaming on the desktop...I like 21" screens for gaming.

gtsimmo said:
I got the 6000 recently and i'm quite satisfied with it. There is one thing you should know though, dell ships 533 mhz fsb systems with 400 mhz ram. Kind of lame but benchmark wise they perform the same due to the timing (3-3-3-8 vs 4-4-4-11). Also, it is cheaper to get new memory from newegg then choose the upgrade option from dell, especially if your going to want 1gb+.

What memory did you get from Newegg for this? I'm trying to ask Dell right now if I can get the 6000 shipped without any memory:D

I was looking at this stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-581&depa=0

i have not upgraded my memory from the stock one just yet. i'm about to after next paycheck. I'm personally going to get 1 Gb DDR2 533 mhz, which would leave me the option to get a 2nd stick later on. Its something i did not notice until after i had got the system :/ or else i would of just got the cheapest 256mb option and then ordered 1 gb from newegg. Something you dont want to skimp out on when you build your system from dell is the screen, get at least the WSXGA+ screen, the WUXGA is nice but doubt you'll want to run that high of a resolution on a 15.4 inch screen. Either word DO NOT get the default WXGA screen.

This is the setup i got on my inspiron 6000. I had to cut cost in some areas to get the machine budget within my budget, but i plan to upgrade those areas soon :)
1.6 Mhz Pent M (533 mhz fsb)
512 mb ram (2 x 256mb they are 400 mhz)
ATI x300 PCI-E 128 mb
WSXGA+ ultrasharp screen
40 gb HDD Toshiba 5400rpm 16mb cache (plan to upgrade this soon to the toshiba 80gb 16mb cache one from newegg)
DVD-ROM (already upgraded this to a NEC DVD+/- RW)
b/g wireless network

here is a screenshot of sisoftsandra of cpu (533 mhz fsb) and the memory bus speed. if you go into bios it clear stats the memory specs as 400 mhz and i also opened up memory in the back to see.
sissoft6000.JPG

Last edited:
I just got my 9300 and it rox! I got the GO 6800 and teh 1.6, but I am going to get the 400FSB 1.7 and do the pin mod to get 2.26 :D This machine is insane. BTW, this memory runs at 533Mhz.

Back