• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

an overclocking tragedy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

Today was the worst day of overclocking (or not), EVER.

What happened:

Friday afternoon: My venice and dfi board arrive from new egg :santa:
A good time was had by all.

Sunday evening: I finnaly got the time to put my system togeather. I hooked up the wc system and started leak testing around 9pm. Everything is looking good.

Today: I return from work and joyusly discover that the mailman has left me the x800xl I ordered from ninjazx6r (thanks ninja). The final peice of the system was in place- it was time to let-er rip. So, pop in the card, boot to bios. Everythings looking good, but I had to go somewhere so I couldnt do much more. That was the last time my poor system ran :cry:

I made a fatal mistake (one of many tonight). I left the pump running. It didnt seem like a big deal since it had been running leak free for 24hours and it was the same system I had been running for almost a year.

I came back- the pump was running dry :eek: Almost 1L of water was gone. It didnt take too long to figure out what had happened. The worst possible thing: the center hose on the block popped out. Might has well have taken a garden hose to the computer :rolleyes: Water was EVERYWHERE. On the ram, the vid card (in a huge pool), my sound card, all over the mobo. I run to get a hair dryer and start praying.

2 hours of drying later, everything seems bone dry and I start working up the courage to see if it runs. I tested the ram in my brothers computer (it worked !)- about the only thing im sure still does. I get it all assembled on my desk with the stock hsf.

Push the power- WHOOSH. A huge arcing spark flys up from the vid card. Its over. I paitiently waited 6 months to get this vid card, now its literally fried.

Status now: I cant do much. I dont have another pci express vid card or pci vid card. Maybe the board is ok, but I think not. The only thing I have any hope for is the cpu. If thats the case, I will probably have to sell it. :cry:

Hopefully I can find a friend with a pci vid card to test the remaining parts. Good vibes needed!

Im sorry ninja, I wish I could have treated your card better :(

Let this be a lesson. HOSE CLAMPS. I was lazy and took 24 hour testing to be enough. Maybe they wont stop leaks, but at least clamps will prevent this from happening to you.

2 weeks in the airing cupboard - iv seen loads of components get drenched...but its never been anything 2 weeks in the airing cupboard cant fix.....
that sux tho, im sorry for your loss - maybe more survived if you let it all sit and dry properly?

I am sorry to hear that. I would also recommend the alcohol bath, and then at least 2 days of air drying.

The memory manufacturers themselves, actually dry ram chips in an oven before soldering them, because they absorb water, which during soldering, can make the chips explode...

nealric said:
Hopefully I can find a friend with a pci vid card to test the remaining parts. Good vibes needed!

If you post some pics then we can recommend which components to test or replace. Good luck :thup:

I definetly should have waited longer. I did use rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to hopefully clean up resudue.

Hopefully I will get a pci vid card today. If that dosent work, I will have to beg someone who has a 939 system to let me test the cpu.

Back