• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help choose new mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ericcase

Registered
please help choose new mobo

i want to upgrade my mobo to take advantage of my dual channel ram and get 4 satas instead of 2. heres what we have to work with.

amd 64 3200+ socket 754
ecs 755a2
2x512 geil dual channel 2 6-3-3 platinum
2 wd raptors
8xagp radeon 9550 w 256ddr

thanx

Last edited:
I dont think socket 754 supports dual channel ram, only socket 939 does. So buying a new 754 wouldnt do anything for your ram, you will need to get a 939 mobo

stupidspoons said:
I dont think socket 754 supports dual channel ram, only socket 939 does. So buying a new 754 wouldnt do anything for your ram, you will need to get a 939 mobo

Spoons is right. Only the Socket 939 and 940 will take advantage of dual channel ram. I would sell your current board and processor on ebay and get a new Motherboard and Processor if you are set on using Dual channel. If you can find a Venice core 3200 I would go with that, best price and you might not have to spend much on it if you get the 754 3200 sold quickly. As for a sck-939 motherboard I would go with the MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum, very good for overclocking, but ive experience lots of instability with mine, its under control now, but took awhile.

Your only problem now is that you have an AGP graphics card, it wouldnt be to much to toss out the 9550 and get a cheap PCI-Express card like a 6600GT or ATI similar.

Thats all I have for now, sorry man.

Back