• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Method for cutting blowholes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intraveinous

Dunno if cooling is the place for this or if case mods would be better, though you're cutting a hole for a fan, so it does relate to cooling... Anyway, I was wondering what everyone uses to cut their blowholes, ductholes, etc. Holesaw? Dremel? Jigsaw? Duct cutter? Die cutter? have them laser cut? something else?
I have tried Holesaws, Dremels and Jigsaws, and if you have a steady hand (also kind of required for the dremel) I'd highly recommend the jig saw with a good bosch metal cutting blade on it. Over the course of the last few years, I've cut probably 25-30 blowholes in my own and other people's cases, and the jig saw is by far the smoothest and quickest that I have done.
I have heard about some kind of AC Duct cutter that you put on a drill press that spins around with a cutting wheel and cut's a perfect circle, but they're a bit more expensive than I'm willing to fork out right now. (around $80-200US if I remember correctly) Anyway, yeah, just wondering what other people have used and found to work well..
Peace
John

The Dremel is the most expensive and the best item for the job and the blades etc for metal cutting are expensive.

The nibler from radioshack is good.

A high power drill and a metal cutting bit if you are drill holes for the bolts.

Tin Snips are also useful for the smaller gaps and you can buy them in different sizes for the job.

Try Radioshack and ebay for these...

Use a hole saw if you want nice round holes. You'll need a good drill and the saws can be a little pricey. I have ones for 120mm holes and 92mm holes. The 120 was like $30 and the 92 was like $20 I believe. But they are without question the best way to. Unless you got a very steady hand or you don't care how your case will turn out. I've seen some cases that think are just absolutely sinful looking. LOL :)

i used tin snips.. oh baby was that nasty looking when i was done lucky i covered it up with the front cover... thats a killer on your hands tho.. and no im no weakling.. i do more with my hands in a day than most of you do in a month.. playing bass guitar 1hr, guitar 1hr, typing 30minutes weightlifting (would not belive how much your hand muscles contract) 45minutes and alot of other stuff

When i Mod mine im gonne be using a fly-cutter in the pillar drill at college :) PERFECT holes every time. they are too expensive to buy just for case modding though and you need a pillar drill as a hand held drill would be impossible to use. any suggestions for cutting a window? i was planning the following: 4 holes to make radiused corners, then connectrr with jigsaw and straiighten up with a dremel

Yes, fly cutter, exactly...
I'd like to get one, but yeah, expensive...
As far as the window, that sounds like a good idea, except the finishing with the dremel part... In my experience, dremel cuts are rough, and using the grinding stone only creates a raised lip around your hole... if you have a good blade on the jigsaw, it should be plenty smooth..
I personally recommend the Bosch progressive cut. It goes from a coarser tooth pattern near the bottom to a finer patern near the top. Cut's very nice holes, so long as you're steady handed, cuz if you slip for a second, you've suddenly got a 2 cm cut where it shouldn't be. Be precise and a jigsaw can be your best friend, other than a fly cutter or 3000watt cutting laser, heheh...
John

I've tried hole saws, and I dunno if the case I was using was just too tough (it was an old Gateway 486 Full tower -- hardened steel) or what, but yeah, I spent 40 bucks on a hole saw and totally f*#@ed it up on the first use. I was going fairly slowly and using metal cutting oil (hydraulic fluid) but I've only been able to find hole saws for wood, which don't work very well on metal..
John

i used to get good results with a dremel but i ran out of disks and couldn't be bothered to get more so i just used a jugsaw, now i am changing my case more then i change underware

LOL!!

Good one!

I change my underware about the same amount as i do email addresses...

Anyway Jigsaws are good but the edges need soothing with a sander or some sandpaper to get it smooth...

Tweak3D has some good articles www.tweak3d.net

If you only have a 3/8" power drill you can still cut perfectly round holes. All you need are a center-punch, a compass and a small chisel. Or in my case, the drill, 1/8" and 5/64" drill bits, a screw and a hard-heeled shoe, plus a common screwdriver with a smallish blade. A round needle needle file is needed to enlarge the 5/64" holes just a touch so that self tapping screws for mounting fans go through the holes.

The half round file helps make the main fan hole perfectly circular, and removes the tiny teeth around the hole that remain after you chisel the now useless steel in the middle free from the case cover.

Labor intensive, yet economical.

Yes yes, the Greenlee punches are VERY nice, but also, VERY expensive... I've had excellent luck with the jigsaw with Bosch variable blades and extra fine blades. Cut a window with it last night... Turned out great! all I need to do now is figger out how the F*@% to get the locking strip in the rubber molding surround... I must have played with it for an hour before giving up... Any tips?
Peace
John

Back