• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed KDE on Gentoo 2.6.11-r9... few Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Welp, I finally got almost all squared away... or so I think. I just have some minor questions.

Here is my system:
pentium m 730 @ 1.6
512mb pc2700
integrated intel video

I am having a hard time installing the intel video drivers for linux; I downloaded them, unpacked them, read the readme file, but I get errors while giving the commands; for example:

In the instructions, it says to run:

rpm -i dri-I915-v1.1-20041217.i386.rpm

I do so, but then it returns:

bash: rpm: command not found

So I cannot install the drivers.. I think because of this, I am stuck @ 1024x768 resolution and "0" Hz refreshh rate... wierd. I hope a driver install will let me change the resolutions because the native res of my lcd is 1280*768.

I would also like to be able to have 1280*1024 displayed on my crt monitor that is attached to the lappy. I was able to do this under windows, and I am sure there is a way to do so here.

That;'s all I can think of for now, if I left any info out, let me know. Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

thats because gentoo doesn't use rmp for package management. You'll either have to use portage or source code.

If you are using an nvidia card, there is a wonderful article at gentoo-wiki.org. I'm not exactly sure about the other details...give us some more information about your video.

You can 'emerge rpm' and then try to run the rpm command you were trying. It should work unless the distro it is designed for uses a different directory structure for installing things than Gentoo does, but it shouldn't. After you use rpm to install it, you need to make sure you need to change the video driver to whatever Intel named it.

eNightmare said:
thats because gentoo doesn't use rmp for package management. You'll either have to use portage or source code.

If you are using an nvidia card, there is a wonderful article at gentoo-wiki.org. I'm not exactly sure about the other details...give us some more information about your video.

It's an intel extreme 2 :shrug: i825GML graphics chipset. 64 megs of ram. Tell me more about using portage or source code. thanks for hte help.

electrorcamd said:
You can 'emerge rpm' and then try to run the rpm command you were trying. It should work unless the distro it is designed for uses a different directory structure for installing things than Gentoo does, but it shouldn't. After you use rpm to install it, you need to make sure you need to change the video driver to whatever Intel named it.

I am trying that right now...

any word on being able to run both monitors @ different resolutions?

What driver were you using before trying the Intel one? I'm not sure on running monitors at different resolutions; I've never had dual monitors setup in Linux.
If you can't get the Intel driver to work, you should be able to change the resolution as well as the refresh rate for the first monitor to what you want it to be in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

electrorcamd said:
What driver were you using before trying the Intel one? I'm not sure on running monitors at different resolutions; I've never had dual monitors setup in Linux.
If you can't get the Intel driver to work, you should be able to change the resolution as well as the refresh rate for the first monitor to what you want it to be in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Well, this is my first time booting into KDE, so it did not have another drive prior. I looked for the xorg.conf file, but I only found xorg.conf.example... should I just create one? I wonder why I dont have one :shrug:

electrorcamd said:
Yeah, you will need to create one. It doesn't make one by default since each setup is different. You may find it helpful to read through this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
Go down to the 'Configuring Xorg' section and setup the file. That should help to get it setup the way you want.

reading that right now :D should I emerge xorg? I hope that's not a bad idea because I am doing that as we speak (in Konsole). thanks for your help, btw.

Alright, I'm switching back and forth between the forums and writing an essay for a final that's due tomorrow, so if I am not understanding something, please correct me.
You can get into X windows by typing 'startx' at a virtual console, correct, or no?
If you can, then you don't need to emerge xorg. It should have been compiled as a dependency to one of the kde packages.
If you can't, then yes, you probably need to emerge xorg.

If you already can, then it won't hurt anything to remerge xorg, it will just take longer.

electrorcamd said:
Alright, I'm switching back and forth between the forums and writing an essay for a final that's due tomorrow, so if I am not understanding something, please correct me.
You can get into X windows by typing 'startx' at a virtual console, correct, or no?
If you can, then you don't need to emerge xorg. It should have been compiled as a dependency to one of the kde packages.
If you can't, then yes, you probably need to emerge xorg.

If you already can, then it won't hurt anything to remerge xorg, it will just take longer.

Gotcha, it was probabily compiled when I emerged kda, as I am in that environment right now... so I'll just cancel it, or will that hurt anyhing? Maybe I'll just let it finish since I started :shrug:

I don't think it will hurt anything since it is probably the same version. It will leave a few messed up source files and undeleted work directories, but you can just delete all of that if you want to. Or you could let it finish, I don't think it really matters as long as it is the same version.

im not sure but maybe support foryour video card is already supported by the kernel? If so all you have to do is add support for it and you shouldn't need to do anything else...

>Xorg -configure
then copy xorg.conf.new to xorg.conf...it tells you what to do after you finish the script.

if that doesn't work

>xorgconfig

Well, thanks for the help guys. I tried to automatically configure xorg, and it went down the drain after that. I rebooted, and the screen look pixelated (kind of like when you overclock a video card waaay too much).

I ended up installing Fedora (+ Gnome) and it seems to be a bit more friendly (at least imo), I noticed the support for dual monitors right away. So all is good now i guess :shrug:

eNightmare said:
if Fedora is faster than Gentoo...there has to be something wrong.

I never said it was faster... thought I really can't compare since I never got Gentoo to properly work :shrug: Is it much faster?

eNightmare said:
Gentoo should run much faster...Fedora is known to be fairly bloated.

I haven't given up on anything... I am sure I did something wrong while installing KDE; the gentoo installation was flawless however (after a few tries :D ).

Back