• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing Cases. Still.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dennyamd

Registered
After looking for a case for a while, I see that there is still no "perfect case".

Though, there are some candidates:

Lian-Li PC-60 plus -- after a looooong multiday look at Lian-Li, this looked like a nice case. Until I saw this decibel rating chart. I wanted a quiet case, and that meant less fans I guess.

Lian-Li PC-7 plus -- after a looooong multiday look at Lian-Li, this looked like a 2nd nice case. It had the same number of fans but of different sizes though, as Lian-Li'S PC-V1000 in the above decibel rating, so they were probably both about the same rating. I didn't like the 80mm fan though. I probably could put up with it, as perhaps I have to compromise somewhere. What I'd do though is reverse the rear 80mm fan to be an intake fan, and put a filter on it to create a positive inflow of air into the case to prevent dust. Or, to create a neutral flow, I'd put another 80mm fan where the top vent is. Eeeh, more fans again. Maybe then I'd put some insulating foam on the side panels, and maybe add a door with front intake grills. This is starting to sound more like Lian-Li's PC-6070 plus, except that there are no fan grill holes in the front of that model. Maybe I can get that case instead and cut a hole in the front. Doing so will probably increase the noise coming out of the case, but then I can get a quiet Nexus fan and see what happens.. It may still be a bit louder, unless I get all quiet fans for this case, be they 80mm or 120mm. The real problem then is cutting out the hole in the front panel and making it look nice.

Other Lian-Li cases either didn't have a reset button, or were too long, or didn't have a front intake on the front panel for the fan right behind the front panel ! Some cases also had doors to cover the front panel, so I assume there's no real air intake there.

Antec P160 -- That was one of the first cases I looked at actually. It's also one of the quieter cases on the above decibel scale. I like that. I'm not crazy about the front panel though, but I do like the 120mm fans. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to create neutral or positive air inflow. I will probably get both front and rear fans to be intake fans. Put a filter on the rear one and let the Seasonic S12 PSU's fan be the exhaust fan. I wonder if that'll create too much positive air inflow though.

Kingwin KT-424-S -- I thought of going with Lian-Li, until I saw this one. Then, after giving it a closer look, I'd prefer 120mm fans instead of the 3 80mms that it comes with. Also, I don't know its decibel rating, but from some comments it looks like it may be somewhat noisy. Not too much, as some comments also said that it's fairly quiet, but noisy enough to perhaps be higher than P160. But I'm speculating here. Also, some said that it's a perfect case, and some didn't like some things, like having to reroute IEEE wire to hang from the back of the case. Some reviews also said that in general this case is built just as well as Lian-Li but with a lesser price tag.

I didn't like the above cases thoughto the point of going wow, I'm gonna get this one ! On some cases I almost did say that, but then after giving them a second look there were things that I didn't quite like, as I noted above.

Which case would I like ?
One that has the front panel looks of Antec PLUS660AMG, inside looks of either Antec PLUS660AMG or Silverstonetek's TJ02, decibel rating of Antec SONATA or less, sturdiness, airflow and cooling of Lian-Li's cases that have the front panel grills open, and neutral or some positive air flow inside the case. Maybe I ought to make my own case. Or heavily (or in some cases lightly) mod one of the available ones.

Or maybe give up or compromise and get one of these cases. I already ordered one. Then I almost cancelled it, but then decided to stay with the order. I thought that I can probably order another one, if I liked it more and return the first one, but I haven't ordered another one yet. I may not order one either. I don't know, I'll see how things go. I'll may get the case and get used to it.. humm.

Thanks for the recommedation.
No, haven't looked at it before, as I was looking for a mid case this time.
I did check it out now and .. wow, enough drives placeholders in there ? They freak me out ! It's huge too.
Though not really for me I guess as it's too large, may be a bit noisy with regular fans.

Have you thought about Antec's TX server Case's.The Black TX1050B (B is for black..lol)come's with a 500Watt Modular PSU and for $119 you cant beat it.I read a review of this case and it said the case is really nice and the only complaint was that the front door and bezel are Plastic.Im pretty sure this is my next case . Or maybe Thermalrock's OCean Dome

And then it went on to review the psu and the said that the PSU is better than the NEO480
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21318
The Ocean Dome
http://www.frozencpu.com/cst-233.html

And i have the Kingwin KT424 its a very Nice case and it keeps my temp's really good with the 3 fan's but im gonna cut out the back fan and put a 92mm in there.I measured it all up and i have enough room.That should help air flow even more.Also the stock fan's are pretty quite no silent but not loud.Only thing i dont like is the front usb and 1394 port cover it breaks of really easy but I contacted Kingwin and told them about even though the warranty has been up for months they sent a new piece.

Last edited:
If you want a Lian Li PC-6x with 120mm fans, check out the PC-65B Plus Edition. If you're in the states, then pop over to Performance Pcs as they should have the item in stock.

deception``

PC-65B doesn't look much different from PC-60 plus. Actually, I wasn't able to find a difference.
Maybe PC-65B is the version with the side window ? That could be it...
Well, great case indeed ! PC-6X would my choice as I mentioned, but I'd have to find a way to make it really quiet. Maybe get all Nexus fans for it,
or go for PC-7, which has less fans and therefore is quieter.

About Antec TX1050B case. Awesome case too. It has places for 5 fans though, I wonder how loud it will be.

Currently, I have a similar case. It's an older version of Antec's SOHO case, one like Antec SX1040 SOHO. Inside I have a dual processor motherboard with two fairly loud heatsinks. I had 4 Antec's 80mm case fans inside, until one died. Now I have 3: one on the front, 2 in the back. It has a standard Antec's PSU 400W (I think it's SmartPower). This system generates a fair amount of noise. I got used to it, so it's not a big deal. It's not too loud where you can't speak over it yet it does generate a healthy hum. I love the case, it's so huge and big. It commands respect! It's somewhat heavy and it would be tough to lag it around on a daily basis. It usually sits in one place for me, so it's not a problem.

I think I'll miss it when I get my new system... I said that I already ordered a case but I didn't say which one (and no one asked yet!). I ordered Antec P160. I'll see how it goes. I also got two 120mm Nexus fans and a Seasonic 430W PSU. This new system will probably be smaller, shorted, and way way quieter than my current system. I may have withdrawals. If I miss it too much I may get a new full tower case, put Tornado fans in there and reminisce. Or maybe just turn on my old case and listen to it.

All this time I've been looking for really quiet fans, cases and components. But maybe I don't really need a quiet case ? Maybe I can put up with a certain level of noise ? ... Noise that will tell me that I have a powerful system. And maybe have a large and heavy case that can throw its weight around. Hummm.

Oh wait.. that's what I have now ! And I've had it for 4 years ! Maybe it's time to try something new ! Something quieter. And perhaps smaller. I feel certain case anxiety and anticipation. I don't know what feelings future holds and how I will like my new system. But time will tell and I'll let you know.

Hmmmmmmmmm That P160 is a nice case i used to want one bad but i like black.I think the P160 would look so good black.I think you will be very happy with the P160..I like my Kingwin KT424 because of it's slide out mobo tray.I just bought a new dremel tool cut out the fans hole's..Im gonna put bigger fan's(1 x 92mm and a 120mm in the front i hope) and may a blow hole ..Sometime in the next few week's i think im gonna order that TX1050B if m-wave still has it .(newegg has it for $40 more but thats still a good deal)I wonder how hard it is to cut a window in secc?And then i want a 939 mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123246 and a 3700+SD or a 3800+venice.

Well, I got the Antec P160, and .. I don't know..
I cut myself twice, while putting things together and thus I'm a little edgy.
Once when I tried pulling the right panel off. It wouldn't give at first, so I pulled it a bit harder and it snapped off and deeply scraped my thumb, taking off at least 1 skin layer. (yeah, ouch).

Second time was when I was taking off the external 3.5" drive bay to put a floppy drive in it. It had aluminum shavings that were coming off as a thin string of aluminum. One of them poked my finger. Less of an ouch, but still not the best thing to happen while assembling the system.
Now I'm in band-aids and Neosporin !

Another thing I don't know if I like yet is that you can put the floppy/CD/DVD drives in the bays, but you can't see them, as Antec provides their own panels for the drives. You can take those panels off, but then your case is not going to be color coordinated.

I have yet to get the PSU I've ordered and hear how loud/quiet the case is overall. I'll see how this case goes, but so far I'm still wondering about cases like and Lian Li PC-7plus and PC-60plus and Antec P180.

I'm also starting to want a case with the door. That way I get the best of both worlds: seeing my drives as they were designed, and not seeing them when I don't want to.

I also like the way Antec has the half-case top doors, like on Antec cases (TX1050B, etc) as opposed to full-case doors on Lian-Lis and Antec P180.

Well, I needed to get this case anyway to see what it was like. Otherwise, I'd keep wondering about it. Overall, P160 is about as tall as TX1050B. 0.3" difference. Thus, P160 is not all that smaller. (I thought it would be). I'll see how it goes when I get the power supply.

P.S. I think I love my current system as is. I always will. It has a special part in me. :)

Last edited:
I had the same feeling about the p160 as you, the first time I looked at it I thought the front was sorta ugly. But I ended up getting it and I even fit my watercooling inside the case and I find the case very intuitive. The front could be a little cooler, but other than that I think this is the best case I could have gotten.

ya
thanks
that's probably why I got it afterall.
I don't like the external connector placement on Lian Li cases. It's way on the bottom, and since my system is on the floor I'd have to lean way down to connect anything to it.

P160 is kinda cute ... I guess? Hahahahah!
I took off the front color-coordinated panels (which was a pain) and have the original beige panels sticking out. It's multi-colored and looks kinda cool in a way.

antecp160.jpg

I'm still wondering if I'll get P180 later on or not.

Last edited:
gigabit said:
Have you thought about Antec's TX server Case's.The Black TX1050B (B is for black..lol)come's with a 500Watt Modular PSU and for $119 you cant beat it.I read a review of this case and it said the case is really nice and the only complaint was that the front door and bezel are Plastic.Im pretty sure this is my next case . Or maybe Thermalrock's OCean Dome

And then it went on to review the psu and the said that the PSU is better than the NEO480
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21318
The Ocean Dome
http://www.frozencpu.com/cst-233.html

And i have the Kingwin KT424 its a very Nice case and it keeps my temp's really good with the 3 fan's but im gonna cut out the back fan and put a 92mm in there.I measured it all up and i have enough room.That should help air flow even more.Also the stock fan's are pretty quite no silent but not loud.Only thing i dont like is the front usb and 1394 port cover it breaks of really easy but I contacted Kingwin and told them about even though the warranty has been up for months they sent a new piece.

I really like that Antec Case. The front looks perfect for putting a Thermochill PA160 in, and youd still have on of the drive racks.

Antec P160 has the matching case-colored front panels that I can put in front of the drives. Thus, I don't need to paint the drives.

When you mount the drives on the case via the provided rails you can choose how far you want the drives to stick out (including the floppy drive). You can put the drives deeper into the case and put the matching front panels in front of them. The panels have flaps that open up when you eject CDs. Or you can have them stick out further and not put the front panels on.

My choice was to leave them sticking out, because I wanted to "see" the drives. I figure I paid for them, I may as well have an opportunity to see them. Also I didn't quite like the idea of covering the drives up with a separate front panel. i.e the panels do cover up the phonejack on my DVD.

EDIT (06-08-05): I may be sticking with my Antec P160 here.

EDIT (06-13-05): I like it, I'm sticking with it.

I can put up with the minor annoyances that it has.
I disconnected front bottom LEDs as I didn't like them.
The top temperature LED has a blinking light that gets irritating after a while, but then you get used to it, as you don't stare at it all the time.
I did bump the ON/OFF button a couple of times, but that's not a major hassle. Maybe it can be made harder to push in next versions.

Possibility of a side fan: my motherboard has a LOUD northbridge heatsink cooler (Asus A8N-E), so for a minute I considered getting a Zalman passive cooler and having a side fan blowing on it. Well, there's no side fan, unless I mod one. Well, I ended up just requesting a newer cooler from Asus, leaving the case as is. So, that's it for now.

Last edited:
Back