• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to test my CPU weather it's stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MOSCHAMENSCH

Registered
Hi,
I have my CPU running on 4 Ghz now. Everything runs perfect but still I'd like to test the stability somehow. I have CPU Burn-In on my Computer but I'm not sure if it checks the system on errors or if it only provides the CPU with a bunch of little tasks so you can see if the temps get to hot. I'd be glad if someone could help me here!

thanx

If you want a quick benchmark to try just to see if you are relatively stable, try downloading the free version of PCmark2004. It might not be the ultimate torture test like Prime, but it's a very close second. I have found that if my computers pass PCmark2004, then they are stable for everything I do.

Well I actually tested Prime 95 but I'm not that kind of perfectionist that lets the system run some days to see weather it's stable. I think you can also roughly test your system by using the CPU testing function at 3D Mark 05. If I let that run several tests (about half an hour) I can usually see if the system is stable (if not it reports an error and abords the benchmark).

Am I wrong?

MOSCHAMENSCH said:
Well I actually tested Prime 95 but I'm not that kind of perfectionist that lets the system run some days to see weather it's stable. I think you can also roughly test your system by using the CPU testing function at 3D Mark 05. If I let that run several tests (about half an hour) I can usually see if the system is stable (if not it reports an error and abords the benchmark).

Am I wrong?

I would say your correct, any system that can game / benchmark stable I would think its pretty stable.

The people who fold or do SETI or crunch data for NASA will want perfect stability with no errors. For them, dual prime for 24 hours is reasonable. For the rest of us, all we need to do is get close. If I can run a couple of PCmark2004 benches back to back, I figure that I'm at least 99% stable.

I wouldn't trust dual P95 fully. I did a 36 hour test each, at 3.73ghz and memtest86. No errors.
IE would crash at random during the test.
The system rebooted sometime after 36hrs

Back