• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to mail 478 chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

im going to list some of my 478 Chips i got lying around on the classifieds and was wondering what you all suggested for shipping a 478 chip. I dont have the nice intel containers that they come in. If i wraped them in bubble wrap and put them in a small box with newspaper dont i risk bending pins?

Thanks for any help ya can give :)

I would suggest going to walmart and buying a piece of foam for a couple of bucks, wrap it in foam then bubble wrap then a box. That should be fine. How many chips you got lying around? I might be interested in 1 or 2. :shrug:

dylskee said:
I would suggest going to walmart and buying a piece of foam for a couple of bucks, wrap it in foam then bubble wrap then a box. That should be fine. How many chips you got lying around? I might be interested in 1 or 2. :shrug:

Thanks.. ill let you kow when i post them.. i have 4 ranging from 1.6 to 2.8.. but i dont think it would be approriate to list prices or times or even sell them here. Dont think im allowed to conduct any kinda selling outside the classifieds. (correct me if im wrong)

buy a foam block and but out a square just big enough for the chip to fit in (take a hot knife to styrofoam block), then line the top of the chip with foam until its snug in its cutout. Tape another block ontop of that one (so the chip is between two pieces of foam. Stuff packing peanuts around the foam blocks inside of a new cardboard box. Rule of thumb for shipping: pack it tight so there's no movement inside the box.

I stick the pins in some soft foam. Then sandwich the CPU top and bottom in cardboard. Then bubble wrap.

Provided that I dont have any more fancy containers.

I forget the name of the guy that sold a whole lot of the xeon 1.6s but I bought a set from him and he used cut up anti static bags from Hardrives or mobos and taped them shut. Wrapped in bubble wrap and box filled with peanuts. Both arrived good to go and are folding 24/7 at 3.2Ghz after this last weekend of tweaking.

{PMS}fishy said:
I stick the pins in some soft foam. Then sandwich the CPU top and bottom in cardboard. Then bubble wrap.

Provided that I dont have any more fancy containers.

Yep, that's what I do too.

Back