• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 3.4GHZ D0 s478 running at 2.8ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shentx

Just bought this new processor, and CPU-Z shows it running at 200x14= 2.8ghz

I thought mabye this was just the speedstepping, but it also does this while running super pi. Motherboard is p4c800-e dlx. Ideas?

mabye speedstepping is not the right word, but this processor is supposed to be able to lower its multi.

My problem is that I can't get it to raise the multi and run full speed.

Also, when I try to reboot my PC, it wont post, then i turn it on again and is says overclocking failed! please enter setup to re-configure your pc.

If i try to exit and save changes, doesn't post, but it works fine when i turn it on again...

Idea's on what is to blame?

I heard this happened for a few Prescott chips when the motherboard couldn't support the CPU. So try updating your BIOS, as that might help.

I am running a 3.2E on a Asus P4P800-e Dlx, so yours should work fine.

What do you want off the IHS? It is indeed a 3.4GHZ Cpu with D0 stepping...

I was also reading about compatability issues regarding the p4c's and prescotts, but this was when the bios was only updated to 1015, and i am currently using 1021.

Which bios are you running?

Before I updated to 1021 bios from 1014, my computer didn't even post, so I guess it running at 2.8 is some kind of improvement.

Yeah that would seem good. My CPU is E0, and I dont know what BIOS this is offhand because this board was RMA'd and they just sent me a new board.

Edit: 1004 bios.

Go to bios and disable the multi, multi is X17 if disabled/auto and X14 if enabled. My set-up is same as yours, read sig, and bios is beta(1021), CPU is very much compatible with MOBO but at INTEL website doesnt show P4C800ED as a compatible MOBO for 3.4E and if you check ASUS wbsite it is compatible, crazy huh? :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I had this same problem with one of my Shuttles because the motherboard didn't officially support Prescott so the multi was stuck at 14x instead of 17x. Did you try flashing your BIOS? If so, I would try selling the board and getting another.

ive used a p4c800-e with a 3.4eo before you need the newest bios this happend for the 3.2e eo cpus as well they had an unexpected issue with the eist on these cpus working on thier boards and of course exploited it to give users the multi options in the bios youll have 16x and 14x multis with the 3.2e eo and 17x 14x multis with the 3.4

if you disable it in your bios you should be up and running @ 17x though. worse case scenario is youll need a bios flash.

joelkyr said:
Go to bios and disable the multi, multi is X17 if disabled/auto and X14 if enabled. My set-up is same as yours, read sig, and bios is beta(1021), CPU is very much compatible with MOBO but at INTEL website doesnt show P4C800ED as a compatible MOBO for 3.4E and if you check ASUS wbsite it is compatible, crazy huh? :)

i could have just said "what he said" and been done lol sorry i missed this post joelkyr you hit the nail on the head with this.

This happened to me too...even after i flashed my bios. the problem is the ASUS updater. You NEED to get the latest version from Asus website, and reinstall the bios with that. For some reason the old update program (incl. the dos based one) can not properly update all the bios registers and you get a 2.8. Use the very latest Windows base update program ffrom the site, and flash the 1021 bios you already downloaded and you will have the correct multi (as well as the 14x multi too).

Shane

Thanks Category 5, I was using the old Aflash that is built in, but using the newest Afudos and 1021 bios everything runs now!

Thanks everyone for your help :santa:

Back