• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with getting to 4.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatBoyGod

Hi, this place got recommended to me for good oc'ing help.

Here's what I've got:

Abit AS8
P4 3.4 lga775
xp-120
1gb twinx 3200cpt cas 2
380W Antec PS (fitted in the sonata case)
xfx 6600GT

Right now, I can get it to 4.165, but any higher than that and it craps out during benches like 3dmark '05.

Off the top of my head, these are my current settings

vcore = 1.4875
fsb = 245
mem ratio = 1:1

I can get a superPi at 1M in 33 seconds, and the temps hit around 56C, so I'm pretty sure it's not the cpu overheating that's stopping me going on.

Any ideas?

Cheers

have you tried running prime to see how the chip does stability wise with that running?

your most likely at the limit of your chip with the voltage supplied if your temps look managable try upping them a notch to see if that less you make it through a 3dmark run or not. if it does youll know its lack of voltage and can either upgrade your cooling to run it with said voltage or try to get your chip to run colder with water cooling for example to try and get those last few mhz.

it might not hurt to run memtest to ensure its not your memory crapping out on you too.

Programs like 3Dmark really heat up the vid card, so with an overclocked CPU combined with a hot vid card, you can really get some high case temps. Super Pi doesn't work the vid card that much.

Second, 245 FSB using the 1:1 ratio with Corsair PC3200 is pushing that RAM a lot. What timings and vdimm are you using? Maybe try using the 5:4 ratio temporarily to see if the RAM is holding you back.

Hello Fatboygod bigjenko here:)
As hawtrawkr and batboy have thought download memtest v3.2 and boot off it to test your ram, as using a fsb of 245 1:1 means the ram is running at 245 and the ram is only rated for 200.
Maybe setting a ram divider may help, Have you got a multimeter at all?

isnt that memory the tccd based cl 2 ? if so it can probably do that 1:1 he might just need to loosen up some timings memtest will reveal all the secrets though :)

oh and since i forgot the first post :welcome: to the forums fatboygod

Back