• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer runs 3 seconds then shuts down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

My mother's computer has taken to turning on for about 3 seconds and than shutting down.

Once its shut down, it wants you to unplug before it will let you power it up again. :shrug:

It was running fine for a few weeks after getting rebuilt. Every once and a while it gets past the three second mark and then runs fine.

System:
socket 754 ecs sis chipset board
a64 3000+
ttgi 430w psu
zalman cnps 7000 alcu

Im going back home this evening- and Im wondering where I should start.

PSU? Seems strange since it runs fine once it gets going.
Fan is running too low for the board?

?

Check the PSU voltages using something like speedfan from www.almico.com/speedfan.php and also make sure the CPU fan is plugged in properly. I have had boards that refuse to run unless the CPU fan is present.

check the CPU HS for dust, or just look inside the case and see if anything looks wrong...could as well be some sort of heat problem.

Make sure the Heatsink is properly secured and that there aren't any cables stuck between the fins and the fan.

-1cem4n

Could very well be the PSU - if you have access to a multimeter, first check the rails with it, especially the 12v and 5v. If they're fine, start looking around for a short, or some other component that is causing the protection circuitry in the PSU to shut it down. Unplug all but the essentials, and then start plugging things back in until you find the problem device.

My parents' system was doing this once in a while. The culprit turned out to be the sliding door from a 3.5" floppy that was stuck inside the drive and shorting it out.

It should not be overloaded being a 430w, unless she is using firewire peripherals. It might be dying, how old is the psu anyway?

Everybody gave their two cents, so I will give my opinion. When I first read it, I figured that the hard drive was exposed to heat damage(or any damage for that matter), and there is some sort of failsafe setting in the BIOS, which makes it turn off.

The watts is powerful on the power supply, but if it is dying for some reason, then it could be a 800w and still do this. I think we will need more information to accurately determine the problem and remedy.

Back