• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got my hands on a 830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RangerXLT8 said:
Negative, atleast I'm pretty sure, already flashed it to 0408 bios and a no go. Are there any other settings in the bios that need to be enabled\disabled for SpeedStep to work properly.
Ive heard those settings dont work properly. Since Im at 14X its a moot point for me

Sentential said:
Ive heard those settings dont work properly. Since Im at 14X its a moot point for me

Just flashed to 0408 bios and it's a no go, the only 2 SpeedStep options are Automatic and Disabled. I remember having this same occurance on my P5AD2-E and someone told me how to get it to work but I forget, I think it has to do with some other option in the bios. I can't seem to find LockFree either. Could it be a jumper setting ont he board?

HyperAsus we're not going to be able to run the 14z multi quite yet.

"Currently the BIOSes for this motherboard do not support the setting that you desire. Check the download page from time to time for the full release of the beta that you tested." Jon V, Asus tech support.

Then I recieved another email from the night shift supervisor because I wrote a nasty email about how I was treated by that tech support on the phone. The supervisor sent me the latest beta bios 0422 so after I get home from work I will see if it it enables me to use the *Minimum* setting in SpeedStep.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there will be 945/955 motherboards that support normal ddr ram? If alot of people have this good experiences with the Intel dualcores, I just might jump boat. I don't want to have to buy new ram though...

Thats totally impresive..To get over 4 gigs per core wow..Seams the reviews we have been exposed to have been completly tilted for AMD ..The one revew we had here floating around indicated these Intl chips would do little over there stock clocks making the AMD which overclocked deciently appear to be the clear choice in dual cores.

I may have to switch systems ! ! !

Big question..How stable is it at these speeds ?

dropadrop said:
Does anyone know if there will be 945/955 motherboards that support normal ddr ram? If alot of people have this good experiences with the Intel dualcores, I just might jump boat. I don't want to have to buy new ram though...

Unfortunately, you'll have to get DDR2.

Wow, that PCmark2004 score whips my top system. Sandra CPU score kicks butt too. From my experience, if you can run PCmark2004, you are reasonably stable, since it's a tough benchmark.

Also, running over DDR2-900 speed is impressive, but I bet if you drop the ratio down to 1:1 and lowered timings, you'd actually score higher on some of those benchies.

This is making me consider buying a Swiftech socket LGA775 water block and i955X mobo (Asus or Abit) in order to take one of these dual cores for a little spin.

Let's see how I can sell this idea with the g/f, "Honey, Because I love you, I'm giving you my good backup computer since yours is getting sort of old. Oh yeah, I'm buying $600 of new components for me too."

It seems to be stable at 4.1 GHz, I only ran Prime95 for 15 minutes at that speed because my temps went past 60c. As soon as I get a little better cooling I should be fine at that speed. Just for kicks I tried clocking it down to 240 fsb and easing off on the vcore to see how much of a temp diff it would make. I set the voltage to 1.225 in the bios and stress tested it. Keep in mind that my watercooler is cooling two 6800gt's, 4 hard drives, northbride and cpu. Plus the CPU waterblock has to have a 2mm copper spacer to fit LGA775. All of that with the very week koolance pump so flow rate is practically non existent. I doubt I could do anything to make this watercooler any more inefficient short of kinking a hose and setting a ceramic heater next to the radiator.

Load

Idle

I am pretty sure that could easily be done with a half decent heatsink and fan.

Too much vcore at too high of temps to try any benchmarks but amusing none the les.

I can actually get in to windows and run pcmark at 4.2 but when it’s done it doesn’t give me a score because one of the tests screwed up. Don't recall which one. I think it will be good at 4.2 with better watercooling, but not a HSF.

Back