• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Opteron, X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
infinitevalence said:
1. Test the limits of your HyperTransport bus (HTT).

To do this set your CPU to its lowest multiplier. Generally 6x is good enough for this test.

Now set your memory to its lowest divider, 133 is general recommend.

Begin your testing by raising the FSB with the FSB/HTT multiplier set to 5x. Push your HTT up in 5mhz increments until it becomes unstable, generally you back off 5mhz from the last unstable speed. Testing should then be done, boot to windows and run a few loops of 3DMark03 or 05, if the system does not create any errors then you know its ok to move on to step 2. If it does fail out then reboot and back off the FSB another 5mhz, and retest.

Once your done note your max HTT number, a pad of paper is your friend so write it down if you think you might forget.

Ok, all I am saying is that if you leave the HTT multi on the high setting of 5, you will not max your fsb. 5x300 is 1500. 300 is not too hard to hit on the fsb, but having the HTT multi at 5 will never let you max your fsb. To max the fsb the HTT multi should be set at 4 or even better 3.

After thinking about it some more i think your right some motherboard will max out the HTT even at 3x while others will max out the FSB before the HTT hits the wall even when set to 5x. Im updating to reflect this.

Nice guide, however using memtest to rate the bandwidth is not a good idea. Case in point, when using one of my setups to test in memtest, it shows low bw however in windows bandwidth is right where it needs to be. You can use it as a guide, but i wouldn't let it dictate my memory overclocking.

I'm starting to think that people never will stop using the term "FSB" in relation to Athlon 64's and the HyperTransport link. Even motherboard manufactures use the term "FSB" in the BIOS and yet there is no FSB. The days of the FSB is over when it comes to Athlon 64's. Even though the HyperTransport link functions much the same way doesn't make it a front side bus. We dont all call PCI-E AGP just because PCI-E and AGP function in the same manner.

The clock generator always drives the north bridge, and provides the reference frequency for the HyperTransport link between the north bridge and the CPU. The HyperTransport frequency can so be considered as the FSB, because the CPU uses this frequency to generate its own internal clock, through an internal multiplier.
As shown on the diagram, the memory controller speed is the same than the CPU speed. Memory requests are consequently sent at the CPU speed, on a 64/128 wide bus, according to the number of memory channels. We can see there is no more link between the clock generator and the memory. The memory clock is so obtained from the CPU clock, divided by a factor that depends on the memory specifications.

http://www.cpuid.org/K8/index.php

The only thing i'm not for sure on is what the bus between the RAM and the CPU is called. Its not a FSB and its not the HyperTransport link. The data is transferred across this bus from the RAM to the CPU at the speed of the RAM times two for DDR and the memory clock is obtained from the CPU clock.

I think to improve this thread, you will have to add a little more information. Maybe include some in depth parts on how to use prime95, memtest86 and 3dmark effectively?

Also include CPU Burn In's

Other than that, goodjob.

ps2cho said:
I think to improve this thread, you will have to add a little more information. Maybe include some in depth parts on how to use prime95, memtest86 and 3dmark effectively?

Also include CPU Burn In's

Other than that, goodjob.

I could have included more info on what programs test and do but the idea was to keep it simple and give quick performance rather than teach every one every detail. If people want more info they can go find it. For the lazy who just want a quick overclock this should be just about perfect.

i loved it!

tested all my parts and was able to get a good starting point.

after raising my cpu voltage a little to 1.47, im at my goal of 2750mhz.

thank a ton!

"Begin your testing by raising the FSB with the FSB/HTT multiplier set to 5x. Push your HTT up in 5mhz increments until it becomes unstable, generally you back off 5mhz from the last unstable speed."

total n00b question, but you're doing this in the BIOS right? how do you know if it becomes unstable?

You adjust the settings in the BIOS then start Windows and run some tests like Prime 95 or Super Pi to see if it's stable. If you get errors then you have to restart, get back into the BIOS and change the settings. Or if you're testing your memory, you can just boot Memtest and run that, but it's not the greatest stability tool.

Wow!! Extremely informative and I believe this guide will be effective for me when I get my X2 3800+. I would like to be able to get the needed equipment and see what my overclocking potential is for my future CPUs. Thanks for the great guide!!

One thing your going to need to do differently with the X2 is testing, make two Prime95 directorys and set processor affinity inside the program for stress testing. You will also need to remember that its two cores so they may overclock differently. When i was testing the 4400+ i had one core that had no problem hitting 2.6 on stock voltage while the other required 1.6v to do the same and was not stable past 2.6. Take your time test the limits of both cores, but keep the other one under load even if it fails prime otherwise you will not get an accurate picture when it comes to thermal load.

How long should i run the Prime95 torture test for?
Also which tests should I run, should I customize my own? Can anyone suggest some settings? :shrug:

Ok I'm proceeding with 2 loops of 3dmark 2001 and the Prime95 torture test running in the background in blend mode, think this is enough? My Geforce mx 440 blows :-/

Last edited:
just prime95 for 12-24hrs using the torture test, with large or small fft, and set the priority in the task manager to realtime. This will make it look like your computer is not responding but its really still working if you watch eventualy it will start on the next test.

Back