• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking isn't effective at all!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MOSCHAMENSCH

Registered
Hi,
I first overclocked my PIV HT 550 (3400Mhz) Prescott LGA775 to 3951 Mhz without changing any voltage. That's pretty good in my opinion so I thought since I have water cooling I'll set the Vcore higher promising myself much more overclocking potential. First I set from 1,3375 V to 1,35 V and could reach stable 4051 Mhz. So far so good. But after that overclocking just wasn't stable anymore! I had to increase the voltages in huge amounts just to get some Mhz more. Right noe I'm at 4105 Mhz with a voltage of 1,4375. I don't think this is normal anymore! Maybe it's my DDR II Memory from Mushkin. I set the voltage from 1,8 V to 2,0 V.

Please help
Thanx

I'd be happy with the 4.05ghz and not risk frying my chip. Might just be that your processor just won't go any higher.

a 600Mhz OC is ineffective?

Anyways, I would set your RAM to it's lowerst multiplier when first determining your CPU highest clock, then I would set your RAM to highest and see how high you can push your RAM.

List all your parts, including PSU, excluding optical devices and HDDs ;) and we'll try and help you out :)

Durr, just read your signature:

Ok, that PSU looks weak, do you know the rails it supplies?

I dont understand how this overclock is ineffective... are you saying that your benching with the same scores?

~t0m

with water if your idle/load temps are under control id go up to 1.5v with a prescott and not worry about it. in all the time the prescotts have been on the market ive yet to hear of one dying from to much voltage. rather the power mosfets seem to be the weakest link that will die well before the cpu ever does.

1.43 isnt to much voltage though ive run that through prescotts with the stock hsf and not had a single problem.

what do your idle and load temps look like?

The motherboard listed in your signature might be incorrect. I'm assuming you mean P5GD2. If so, that's a i915 chipset which don't O/C as well as the i925XE chipset. Also, as you O/C a CPU higher, they increasingly need more vcore, but there is a point of diminishing return. As Hawtrawkr said, with watercooling, you could safely increase vcore a little more if you want, like up to 1.45v or 1.5v. Also, you might try raising N/B voltage up a little too, maybe try going from 1.5v to 1.6v chipset voltage.

aNTiChRisT said:
I dont understand how this overclock is ineffective... are you saying that your benching with the same scores?

~t0m

No I'm just saying that guys I know have the the same CPU as I and clocked up to 4,8 (stable). Of course those kind of frequences are only achievable by changing the Vcore. I don't have to fight with the temps since I have water cooling nor do I see any problem in my (pretty good) mobo or the PSU (60$ and 400W). Maybe it's a BIOS setting I have wrong. I just don't know!

hawtrawkr said:
with water if your idle/load temps are under control id go up to 1.5v with a prescott and not worry about it. in all the time the prescotts have been on the market ive yet to hear of one dying from to much voltage. rather the power mosfets seem to be the weakest link that will die well before the cpu ever does.

1.43 isnt to much voltage though ive run that through prescotts with the stock hsf and not had a single problem.

what do your idle and load temps look like?

Idle: 45 C
When running Burn-In and 3DMark05 (CPU Rendering) it goes up to 59 C.

In my opinion that's cool enough!

batboy said:
The motherboard listed in your signature might be incorrect. I'm assuming you mean P5GD2. If so, that's a i915 chipset which don't O/C as well as the i925XE chipset. Also, as you O/C a CPU higher, they increasingly need more vcore, but there is a point of diminishing return. As Hawtrawkr said, with watercooling, you could safely increase vcore a little more if you want, like up to 1.45v or 1.5v. Also, you might try raising N/B voltage up a little too, maybe try going from 1.5v to 1.6v chipset voltage.

I've already raised the chipset voltage to 1,6 but nothing changed.

First of all, do you see the edit button?

Anyways. Your friends dont have the same chip as you. They may have the same model, not the same chip. Every chip preforms diffrently. You may have gotten a bad chip, but IMO that is a good OC.

That WC kit you have is not very good at all. Don't expect water to give you great results with that kit.

And can we have a link to your psu? I can guess that the rails are bad. I would also have more then 400w.

Not many 550 CPUs are hitting 4.8 gig and if so, they are supercooled. Just because an individual makes that claim and has a screenshot, don't mean it's stable. I hit 4.737 gig on a high voltage suicide run and managed to barely get a screenshot after 3 reboots, but that don't mean much. I can only claim 4.4 gig stable. But, I'm betting the vast majority of people with systems similar to you are at maybe 4.0 to 4.2 gig, depending on cooling and stepping of the CPU. If you have a D0 stepping, 4 gig is good. If you have an E0 stepping, then 4.2 to 4.4 would a very good overclock, but you'll need more vcore.

batboy said:
Not many 550 CPUs are hitting 4.8 gig and if so, they are supercooled. Just because an individual makes that claim and has a screenshot, don't mean it's stable. I hit 4.737 gig on a high voltage suicide run and managed to barely get a screenshot after 3 reboots, but that don't mean much. I can only claim 4.4 gig stable. But, I'm betting the vast majority of people with systems similar to you are at maybe 4.0 to 4.2 gig, depending on cooling and stepping of the CPU. If you have a D0 stepping, 4 gig is good. If you have an E0 stepping, then 4.2 to 4.4 would a very good overclock, but you'll need more vcore.

not only are there not many 550s hitting those speeds there arent many 560/570s either. i had a 660 that i could only get stable up to 4.9 and bench @ 5.1 and one i can bench @ 5.4 and fully stable @ 5.2 (with right voltages) both of those were on phase. as most stable prescotts over 4.6 are from what ive seen. id also agree 110% about the 4.0-4.2 range the "quest for 4 ghz thread" is a great place to see what kind of overclocks people were gettign with alot of popular midrange p4 cpus and various cooling and that seems to be right around what alot of people are getting short of phase or just being lucky enough to have gotten a real gem of a cpu.

still funny to hear people say "I can only claim 4.4 gig stable." theres undoubtedly someone with a 1.7ghz p4 whose cursing you right now batboy :)

I'm cursing you both... I can't break 3.0 :(. I think my mobo(AI7) gets funky around 250fsb with 5:4 and I am sitting at 40c load on air with a room temp of around 20c.

Either way I think your psu is crappin out on you. Ya need more than a 400W psu to drive a pressie and the rest of the toys in that case.

jack222 said:
First of all, do you see the edit button?

Anyways. Your friends dont have the same chip as you. They may have the same model, not the same chip. Every chip preforms diffrently. You may have gotten a bad chip, but IMO that is a good OC.

That WC kit you have is not very good at all. Don't expect water to give you great results with that kit.

And can we have a link to your psu? I can guess that the rails are bad. I would also have more then 400w.

Here's the link of my PSU: http://www.chill-innovation.com/chill-innovation.asp

Probably I just expected to much. I now have stable 4134 Mhz running on 1,4375 V. I tried going to 1,5125 V but the CPU just doesn't run stable on higher frequencies then the mentioned one. But thankx for the help anyway. Maybe I'll one day be idiot enough to go to suicide volts and try to hit my 4,8 Ghz ;-)

Last edited:
I have many 775 cpus 520,540, 560J,630 and a 640 and all of them needed at least 1.45Vcore to be dual prime stable at 4G. the DO stepping cpus needed 1.475Vcore.

You temps are high even for a 550, mine start to throttle at 65C.Even on air at 1.475V my full load temps were only 50-55C.

Back