• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I pull my MOBO out to install a SP-97 heat sink. Put it all back together and now I cannot get it to work right. The first time I turn it on it runs for a second and shuts off, no beeps, nothing. After double checking everything I turn it on and it says I'm running at 600MHz :eh?: O.K. reset all my settings to what I had them set to before the change over, and it won't POST. BIOS jumper, back to 600MHz. After fiddling around like this for a while, I have to pull the mobo again and remove everything, rebuild from scratch. As I break it down I notice I had pinched the black wire for the power button between the case and cover to the point of seeing bare wire. So I figure I shorted out the power button :bang head . Now I think thats the problem, so I fix the wire and go ahead with the rebuild. I am extremely cautious this time and tie down all the wires so I don't make the same mistake again. I even cleaned up the whole setup so it doesn't look like a rats nest in there. Hook it all up and same trouble. I have it running now at 1.25G thats the most I can get it to POST at anything more and I'm jumpering the BIOS to start from scratch.
What do you think? Am I looking at a RMA? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Killa

Have you tried remounting the cpu heatsink? Are you sure you got that sucker on there correctly? How did you apply the thermal paste? What kind did you use? What are your temps?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have completely disassembled my rig. I used AS-5 and made shure I was installing the HSF properly. My temps are great (considering I am running at 1.25Ghz). The problems start right from POST. I cannot even come close to the speed or settings I have in my sig. No POST @ 200x12. A setting I was stable at before. :bang head

Well I called SOYO to try to get an RMA and somehow he figured out I was running a mobile (I never told him.) He told me to pull my HSF and give him the numbers off it. I told him I couldn't easily do that. Then he said My problem wasn't the board it was my CPU. I guess I fried it. I'll have to see if I can find another non mobile XP to see if this guy is right :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Back