• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home vs Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think home does basically everything you would need, and, like tenchi said, you can get apps for stuff that might be left out, probably for free. I vote Home.

Home can not join a domain, so if you want to network it go pro.

I found that pro was an all together a more stable system, noticed a big difference between home and upgrading to pro.

What do you mean by stable? Don't they use excaly the same file system, kernel, and well pretty much everything low down that determins the stability? I could be wrong though. As for the network thing this site seems to think you can with a wuick hack. http://vowe.net/archives/001639.html No idea how relieble it is because I have never tried it.

tenchi86 said:
What do you mean by stable? Don't they use excaly the same file system, kernel, and well pretty much everything low down that determins the stability? I could be wrong though. As for the network thing this site seems to think you can with a wuick hack. http://vowe.net/archives/001639.html No idea how relieble it is because I have never tried it.

Home would crash, or rather my av would crash home, frequently. Upgraded to pro and it started behaving. Probably not related, but hey.

Home used to be a bit 'weird' sometimes, i don't know how to describe it. Maybe it was just the psycological feeling of having a 'cut down' OS???

Theres other things as well, Pro has more advanced security, remote desktop, IIS, file system encryption, domain membership, roaming profiles and a few more I cant think of.

Does home support multiple processors?

No it dosnt, and your right pro does have a lot of security features. I was just thinking most of those features can be gained from other apps which also uselly do it better. Though things like remote desktop are nice to have. So yeah really it all depends on your needs. If you uselly work on peoples pc or are a admin of a network or something pro is probaly a good choice. Also depends on if you like built in stuff or uselly like to pick your own programs.

XP Pro has better networking support, supports multiple physical CPUs. TBH XP Home is fine for games. It will support hyperthreading as well. Gentoo can deal fine with the *real* work :p

Back