• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Gaming and YOUR Health, tell us your symptoms.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

-I can't believe there is not thread regarding this issue, the effect gaming has on your health. It's so widely discussed in the media, yet there is no mention of it here.

-What i'm talking about is not mental health, but you may discuss that if you wish. I'm talking more about the physical effect games have on us.

-So, i'd like to start this thread and encourage all of us to share any symptoms/side effects you may have noticed through playing PC games. That also includes good effects like increased reaction speeds etc.

My Symptoms/Side effects:
Personally, i've been playing CS: Source since Christmas for about 2 hours everyday until recently. I was never really any good at it, but started getting good and found myself in the top 3 of my 500+ server and found I had to keep playing to keep my position. Only recently, as in the last 4 weeks or so, I was getting random muscle twitches, ALL OVER MY BODY. A muscle would twitch in my arms, my legs, my hands, my feet, my upper body at least every minute whilst sitting at my computer. Strangely enough, it didn't effect me whilst actually playing the game.
It would hit me in bed as well and was quite worrying. I have to say i didn't go to the doctor, but really should have. But I haven't played CS: Source OR ANY GAME IN OVER 2 WEEKS, and the twitches are 75% gone i'd say.

Please share any symptoms or side effects you have experienced through gaming and we can see which games have the largest impact on us, and also how you can get your condition solved.

;)

Last edited:
it has been proven that many games, like FPS actually increase the human repsonse time, this is why places like the US army use alot of video game simulation :D

Sometimes I get a cramp because I don't sit straight but that's it, my eyes are fine with 85Hz refresh rate and every time I feel tired I go out and starch my legs.

Nothing major, I usually just stiffen up because of having been sitting in the exact same position for a few hours.

I used to get muscle twitches when I was playing too many games, I took up a sport and spend less time playing games so it doesn't actually happen any more. My eyesight is bad in my right eye, and yeah I blame video games for that. For instance, I can't see properly when I user a sniper rifle in a game so I close one eye and just use one... my right eye.

Goateh said:
I used to get muscle twitches when I was playing too many games, I took up a sport and spend less time playing games so it doesn't actually happen any more. My eyesight is bad in my right eye, and yeah I blame video games for that. For instance, I can't see properly when I user a sniper rifle in a game so I close one eye and just use one... my right eye.

Ya, my eye sight went to shiat. Must have been back in the days with the really bad refresh rates.
Now im at 75hertz,max...my lcd monitor doesnt do more at this 1280res, i guess i should go to 85hertz at 1024 but so much more room in 1280

Anyways i blame computers for my ****ty eyes . My right is terrible.
Apparently i need glasses. My doctor says im border line, i can read and stuff, but he said since im going to university in the fall, i should get them becuase it will just make it so much easier, and since i figure that i cant read a road sign till the last 2meters, i should get them :p

Lord_Zoltan said:
My doctor says im border line, i can read and stuff, but he said since im going to university in the fall, i should get them becuase it will just make it so much easier, and since i figure that i cant read a road sign till the last 2meters, i should get them :p

Exactly what my optomestrist said when I went in for a test, brilliant thing is that I finished studying about 1 month later so I didn't bother. I would've had to ge the lense for my right eye custom made becuase the correction was so minor, that was gonna cost heaps :(

Goateh said:
Exactly what my optomestrist said when I went in for a test, brilliant thing is that I finished studying about 1 month later so I didn't bother. I would've had to ge the lense for my right eye custom made becuase the correction was so minor, that was gonna cost heaps :(

Cost, yes. Also, umm i have a slight inferiority complex when it comes to my noise, and lets just say glasses make it even bigger than it is.

Zoltan

I never really thought about weight, good point.

Since I got broadband back in February, I find myself sitting at this PC more and more, not that I was the most active person in the first place, but I do cycle 25 miles a week.

But if I didn't cycle, i'd say i'd pile on the weight. It's just so easy to sit there and eat all day.
:rolleyes:

voodoomelon said:
I never really thought about weight, good point.

Since I got broadband back in February, I find myself sitting at this PC more and more, not that I was the most active person in the first place, but I do cycle 25 miles a week.

But if I didn't cycle, i'd say i'd pile on the weight. It's just so easy to sit there and eat all day.
:rolleyes:

Not if you have to go down 2 flights of stairs to get to the pantry. Next pay check shall be used to acquire a mini-fridge!

Pale skin is a big one.
One time I opened my front door and realized a house had been built across the street. Make that into a symptom.

My eyes start to get tired and actually hurt, also I think I am developing selective hearing because even today I didn't hear the doorbell when the person rang it about 10 times.

Oh and Erynn tends to get mad if I continually play my games when she wants to do something and if any of you would know Erynn, she is a health hazard in herself.

Back