• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to find something cheap? a few tips on how to find it cheap and not get scammed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

need to find something cheap? a few tips on how to find it cheap and not get scammed

shopping around for something cheap? be it the new case fan, new monitor or whatever, here are a few tips to make that new PC a bit cheaper.

The basics

the sites we all shop at, generally agreed to have fairly honest pricing and good customer service
These people set the bar...
the egg

zipzoomfly

People we've all done buisness with

www.svc.com

sidewindercomputers.com

coolerguys.com

jab-tech.com

xoxide.com

ncix.com for our friends up north

Price comparisions

so ya need to find a price cheap 'n don't want to dig around on all the sites that are out there to find the cheapest? well check these sites out than

• pricegrabber.com -type in what you want and it'll dig through quite a few stores and list their prices, including shipping
  • froogle.com- googles version, searches them all and lists the results in a similar manner to their search engine
  • pricewatch.com just a hogwash of prices setup into basic computer categories- buyer beware though, prices arn't always what advertised 'n check out site before buying from.

Most importantly though is

www.resellerratings.com

found a new site? wonderfull, but make sure the deal is real 'n ur not getting ripped, type in the buisnesses website or name 'n you'll get back a ranking, preferably only buy from those with 8 or above

lastly
Deals of the day

www.woot.com everyday (mon-fri) they put one item up for sale at a price your not likely to beat anywhere. alway fun to check

fatwallet the original site of deals, even fought back a lawsuit so we can get stuff cheap

www.slickdeals.net post the deals of the day, usually 2-3. Most common are coupon's off to some site, usually post the dell coupon codes too.

www.dealnews.net more comprehensive then slickdeals, but leads to havin to dig through more. Lookin for a cheap pendrive though? chances are they've got one listed.

www.ableshoppers.com

http://www.dealsontheweb.com/

www.gottadeal.com

http://www.bensbargains.net/

http://techbargains.com/

questions? comments? got a site I missed? lemme know 'n I'll be glad to update it

Last edited:
some of the popular site are fatwallet and bensbargains

Pricematching is another method to get cheap stuff, so is price error, the rule is to order 1st and think later, the ones who place the 1st order usually get the item, even if it's a price mistake. If you don't like the item you'll have atleast 24hours before they ship it out so you'll be able to cancel it.

Staple is very easy to pricematch.
CC and BB and CompUSA will give you problem
Fry never pricematches except to their own price.

Mortis03 said:
Pricewatch is simply amazing.

Can I hear Sticky? :)

You have to be VERY careful with pricewatch though and read ALL the fine print as the advertising is often VERY misleading and that super-duper cheap stick of DDR may only work on a couple of boards.

Pricewatch.com is great for reference and I've puchased items there from vendors I am unfamiliar with. However.. if the price difference is a few bucks between somebody I'm not familiar with and a vendor like NewEgg, I'll take NewEgg every time.

NewEgg isn't perfect by any stretch, but I know I can get service there, I know my delivery time will be prompt, and I know that I can make a return.

I'm willing to pay a slight premium for that.

SVC.com, sidewindercomputers.com, coolerguys.com, jab-tech.com, xoxide.com, paragonca.com, and ncix.com (Canadian) are all sites that I have found to be reputable, with good prices.

Mr.Guvernment said:
great thread - you may want to add www.directron.com to the list - they are a great online store!

Agreed. Personally i think they belong with the top two. Prices are not always the best but great service. When you call them you get a real person willing to give tech help.

One other point, Zip Zoom Fly accepts Paypal now. Added bonus from a big vender.

Back