• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do I Know If My CPU Is Overclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LooseCannon

Hi.

I got a celeron 433mhz and I suspect it was overclocked from 266mhz. Is there a way to find out if it was overclocked? And if it wasn't what's the max speed I should overclock it to (from 433mhz)?
I assume 600mhz?

yea there is, just tell me the multiplier factor. if the proccesor was a 266mhz then it would be at 66mhz*4. if it was overclocked then the fsb speed is at 112mhz (or something close to that) and the multiplier is still at 4. so tell me what ur bus speed is. Now your guys correct me if im wrong but isint the 266mhz celeron multiplier unlocked?

No, what u say is just right.
I doubt your cpu is pre-overclocked. Did you have to change any settings when you installed the CPU?
If not, it´s likely to be a 433. Get Wcpuid. If your CPU is a regular Celeron 433 the Reading should say

Internal 433 Mhz
External: 66 Mhz
Clock multiplier: 6.5

Overclocked would be sth. like

Internal:433 Mhz
External: 108 Mhz
Clock multiplier: 4

For overclocking chances have a look at our CPU database!

Hope that helps!

All Celerons have a locked multiplier. Those first generation Celerons usually max out on average at about 500 MHz. I know some will do more than that, but I said on average. If the FSB is set at 66 MHz, then it's not overclocked.

Thanks everyone.

The reason i'm asking this is because I got my cpu second hand for free.
Now, yeah I already got that prog wcpuid and it seems you're right, internal clock- 434mhz, system buss\clock- 66mhz, multiplier- 6.5.

So these means it definetly not overclocked?
How far can I overclock it then without causing any demage? 600mhz?

The CPU is not overclocked. If you physically put the CPU into another motherboard then it is running at the default settings. You have to change the FSB settings on the motherboard either by getting into the BIOS or by changing jumpers on the motherboard. Many motherboards do not allow you to change the FSB. It depends on the motherboard. To hit 600, which I already told you is probably much more than that CPU will handle, you need to set the FSB to 92 (6.5X92 MHz). I'm guessing your motherboard does not have a 92 FSB setting. If it is adjustable, usually those older boards have settings like 66, 75, 83, and 100. If you do luck out and have an adjustable motherboard, then the first thing you have to do is improve cooling. Heat is the overclockers enemy.

Well, I got the whole computer, including the motherboard second hand, so it could still be overclocked.

About cooling- my comp already has probs with it and if I don't take the cover off it freezes, so i'm not sure what to do.

LooseCannon said:
Well, I got the whole computer, including the motherboard second hand, so it could still be overclocked.

About cooling- my comp already has probs with it and if I don't take the cover off it freezes, so i'm not sure what to do.

Since the multipilere is locked and is 6.5x it cant be an 266mhz that is overclocked. So its 100% sure it aint overclocked.

The lockup issue is higly likely is due to heat. Get a better heatsink.

Back