• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh noes, Windows woes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
So I'm messing about with a different computer and decide to bring my rig upstairs. Plug it up and turn on. The main one is controlled through the network through a VNC setup and I'm on the other one. I find out the main rig has died and I plug in the monitor to find it has reset itself and is sitting at the "missing disk or disk error, press any key to continue" (this is normal, I have a few disks in and the boot disk is on a second HDD controller. once i press any key it finds the boot disk and normally would boot up fine).

So it tries to boot up and just fails. Nothing works. Not in Safe Mode, not in command-line only, nothing. It boots for a while and just gives up and freeses before getting to the login screen. So I take the disk out and plug it into the spare rig and try checking files when a file fails to copy through a CRC error. (the culprit is SOFTWARE in \\windows\system32\config).

Short of scrubbing the partition clean and re-installing, how can I un-mess this?

If I'm understanding this correctly, sounds like a registry issue. Have you done a last known good configuration boot?

How are you checking these files? utility? Copying from one drive to the other?

Back