• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I switch to this 64 bit setup???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johny503

Registered
Im thinking about about switching to a 64 bit setup and now I have a combo of a AThlon 64 3000 with a ECS 755-A2 SIS 755 chipset at a good price. I just want to know should I jump into this over my current nforce2 an35n shuttle and amd mobile 2500 at 2.3mhz and 220 fsb. I mean at stock setup with little oc, would the athlon 64 setup be as good or better??? Thansk so much :)

The system in my sig is pretty close to yours as far as cpu power and motherboard performance goes (AN35 wooo!).

My friend got a 3000+ with a DFI NF4 board and an X700Pro (fairly comparable if not a bit slower than a 9800Pro/XT).

At stock speed he gets 15,000 3dmarks (2001) and 6450 3dmarks(2003) while with all my stuff at the speed you see in my sig I get 16550 (2001) and 6443 (2003).

Basically, without overclocking his system one bit, it is pretty much at the same level as mine. With some overclocking (and these chips have a LOT of overhead) performance should far surpass mine.

Now you are in a bit of a different situation because it seems you have gotten a 754 cpu and motherboard, and the 754s probably aren't at the same overclocking/performance level, although after overclocking it is probably a bit faster than your current shuttle setup.

If you already have the combo then go ahead and install it. If you don't I would save up a little more and get a Venice 3000+ and a nice Nforce4 board.

In my opinion I don't think you should switch, because the setup you have right now seems to have quality parts and good performance, and to switch with an ECS mobo with a sis chipset which you would probably replace later is not good in my opinion. Keep what you have now and save for something of better quality.

Ok ..thanks so much all. I guess it's just the feeling of "athlon 64" I guess. Never tried it out so I guess:) I will put it in and run it for a week just for the heck of it anyways, but I have a feeling I will stay with my current setup until the prices fall or something better comes along. Thank you!

Back