• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's wrong with my PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Basically for read burst times, the highest was 61, the lowest .1, the average is 10mb, and the averages I see online are 30+, so mine looks terrible.

And see how my graph is just a slight curve while yours is all over the place, mine is just a plan 7200k 120gb drive.

DEFRAG THE HDD! c'mon guys keep on ur feet!

If you want a free defragger, google for: Diskeeper Lite , its excellent.

jcw122 said:
DEFRAG THE HDD! c'mon guys keep on ur feet!

If you want a free defragger, google for: Diskeeper Lite , its excellent.

I defrag everyday along with daily virus and spyware checks. My computer hygeine is top notch :)

Basically I'm taking out the partitions and formatting everything. If it's still slow, I'm buying a new one, cus I wanted one anyway. I already backed up anything important. That sucker is outta there.

Hello ya asked for help in 2 threads AND then we here nothing from you about the issue being resolved or if it still exists ..

llamabob said:
I defrag everyday along with daily virus and spyware checks. My computer hygeine is top notch :)

Basically I'm taking out the partitions and formatting everything. If it's still slow, I'm buying a new one, cus I wanted one anyway. I already backed up anything important. That sucker is outta there.

You should only defrag once a month.

Also, here are some other things that I recommend:

1. Make sure that the IDE cable has a red stripe on one side and is composed of a ribbon of fine of wires all attached together in parallel.. If it doesnt have a red stripe, and is somewhat chunky (the typical color of a good cable is a deep grey-ish color that keeps it's shape when bent) then try getting a new cable.

2. Check the back of your HD. The drive may have been improperly configured as a slave drive. Make sure that the jumpers match the description on the label on the back, depending on your application. Also make sure that it is on the end of the cable line if it is a master drive.

3. Use the "optimal settings" in BIOS. It's a good place to start. If it's not called optimal settings, then it's probably the only other setting there besides the fail-safe ones. Don't forget to disable the on-board sound(if there is any) after you set the new settings if you have a soundcard.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now.

diehrd said:
Hello ya asked for help in 2 threads AND then we here nothing from you about the issue being resolved or if it still exists ..

Simmer big guy :p, I've been busy lately and haven't had a chance to update. Yesterday I just gave in a bought a new HDD cus I wanted a new one anyways. Didn't even get a chance to install it until 11pm.

Solved the problem. Computer flies now, however a new problem arised, in that I can't get passed the hard drive size limit of 137gigs. Link to my new thread is here if anyone can help http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3774359#post3774359

Thank you to everyone who helped and gave suggestions, you guys hit the nail on the head.

Back