• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I decided to rais the bar on extream!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XeonStrikeForce

I decided to raise the bar on extreame!

Well finaly got fed up with fans all togeather ! So I got my self a phase change unit for free just needs some fixing up.

I doen't think 25000BTU/H is too extream but thats me ;) Pics tomorrow!

LONG LIVE R290 and Free equip !

Last edited:
using a 25k BTU/h unit for a computer, is simply out ragus let alone extreme your average A/C unit is in the 5000 range. but using a central Building(Read as Mall or small apartment building) A/C for a home computer it was more of a subtle implied joke Ah well,

Last edited:
XeonStrikeForce said:
using a 25k BTU/h unit for a computer, is simply out ragus let alone extreme your average A/C unit is in the 5000 range. but using a central Building(Read as Mall or small apartment building) A/C for a home computer it was more of a subtle implied joke Ah well,

...but a 25k BTU/h won't get it any colder than a 5k....the limiting factor is the boiling point of the refridgerant

yeppers and the size of the EVap for a given CFM, but still using a system of such capasity and size is insane to the point of being funny to even sugest it (Well in my books any way)

Well since the humour was totaly missed I'll get to the actual point. What CAN I do with such a system? they told me the condensor is badly damaged (what ever their def is of bad) So I'm hoping it may be salvagable if so should I rebuild it or just go with the plans to break it down and sell/trade the parts off ?

that's just too much of a unit to be feasible for cpu cooling...
unless you wanted to make like, a 4 evap system for a dual-cpu board with SLI or use it for cooling multiple comps or something...

greenman100 said:
...but a 25k BTU/h won't get it any colder than a 5k....the limiting factor is the boiling point of the refridgerant

actually, the bigger the compressor, the bigger the vaccuum it can pull. the bigger the vaccuum, the lower the boiling point of the refrigerant will go.

the boiling point of r290 is about -42C but i have seen some lerge rotaries get below -60C with it

f00t said:
actually, the bigger the compressor, the bigger the vaccuum it can pull. the bigger the vaccuum, the lower the boiling point of the refrigerant will go.

the boiling point of r290 is about -42C but i have seen some lerge rotaries get below -60C with it

you are assuming he can tune the system properly

If he can find someone with the right gauges and tools, and possibly a little bit of hvac knowledge, I don't see why he couldn't.

im thiking he has a set of guages and some propane. you tune a dd for the load that it will handle and, when you first charge it, it will probably run in a vacuum, if not enough refrigerant has been added.

knowing how much of a vacuum a 1hp, 12000btu, rotary can pull, im assuming that he will have to a tons of refrigerant to bring the system out of vacuum, if at all seeing how strong the compressor is.

R290 record anyone? Tuning would be a bit weird due to the very large vacume, but I'm pretty sure if you just used a bit longer cap tube than normal, you could have some VERY cold propane. It's compleatly unrealistic for a daily rig, but as a "wonder what this will do" project, it has potential.

damn i want to jump into the DIY DD

ive sweat a water (heater) pipe, soldered the barbs into a rad or two, and use a TIG welder to weld aluminum (arc and a stick) @ work....

think i can do it?

you can see (link in sig) what ive done with water cooling...im sure i could create some kind of phase change monster ;)

Oh I can do it you'll be amazed at what some insanity will do with a natural nack at tinkering can do for some one. I all ready built and run a home made R290 AC unit and built my own vacuume side guage to do it (Used a percision oil filled guage) The guy STILL hasn't droped the unit off I'm starting to think I'm geting screwd here ! he said it would be here three days ago and here we are :bang head well Here I am a miffed & disapointed in people pony grrrr.

Ah well show up at his work and strip the thing there en then !

Back