• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8GHZ P4 HT 800fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hah cool.
I couldn't get 3.3ghz stablized today. I tried for around 1 1/2 hours. Kept crashing after i got into windows while it was loading my start-up tray. I'll try again tomorrow.
I want to atleast hit the 3.3ghz stable mark. 3.5ghz would just knock me down lol.

Just a bit of ranting:
Why couldnt the new chips oc aswell as the old chips lol.

Well for 3.3G you need 1.535V (CPU core) , and relax your mem timings at max, so to test the CPU alone .

After you play with the mem timings for tight latency, and stability .

By the way, start looking for a nice HSF too :)

I'm still sitting at 3.266 ghz today. After installing an exhaust which is directly over my stock cpu fan to another fan on my case.. Temps have dropped 4C, i was quite amazed actually. I'm going for 3.3+ tonight, i'm preparing and taking down some notes on stability from various programs i use for feedback. Wish me luck

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i'm feeling bloody happy today!
I managed to get past a holdback and am stable @ 3.36GHZ!!
Idle = 43C
Load = 48-52C
Here is a picture of my CPU-z Stats.
sucess0im.jpg

As you see my voltage isnt to bad either. I'm now going to run some further tests of my own to see how stable it really is. This is probably enough today, I will attempt to raise the FSB and Bus speed tomorrow to 260mhz and 1000mhz.

Happy!

I've dropped back down to 3.2 ghz, i'm not leaving it sitting at 3.35ghz until i can find some better cooling equipment. It seems only my temps are holding me back now.
My voltage is still at 1.6v. I can turn it down while still stable. I'll do that soon, probably down to 1.55v

Edit:
I read a fair ammount of the "Death Syndrome" and alot of people are pushing their voltage up to 1.7-1.85 when it dies. Mine fluctuates around 1.55-1.65.
So i don't think i'm in danger.

A "lot" is not "All". For me the difference between 1.66 and 1.7 is short enough to keep me out of it. I have never fried a processor or mainboard either though. I watch those many here who have and learn from them. They can give you good advice on how close to get I guess :p If you are not concerned at that voltage then all is fine. If you have researched and think you are safe at 1.66 then by all means do what you feel comfortable with.

I have never taken the 2.8's I have worked with past 3.2GHz for long term use and never take them higher than 1.6v (again for long term). I have found that a new processor can often have the voltage dropped after a month or so of a higher voltage.

R

bleh ive got that same stepping and revision as you (thread starter) and my chip is starting to show snds and ive been runnning it at 3.21 @ 1.63 volts since i got it (8 months ago) it just doesn't go for that voltage anymore- im not saying it will happen to you but i wouldn't take the chance.

Quite a number of people seem concerned with this syndrome. I'd like you to remember it only happens to some people not all lol. I'll lower the voltage a little tomorrow, so it stays under 1.6V. The only reason its at 1.6 is because i put it at 1.6 not because its got snds or whatever and it decided to put the voltage up. Thanks for the wanring about this northwood fault alot of people have noticed. Theres always a risk involved when overclocking/volting, and most people here have decided thatits worth the risk to get the extra performance for less dosh.

I'll keep posting my new highs i've reached. I'll also keep a good eye on the voltage just incase it starts jumping around.

Out.

Well if it does not work at 1.535V at 3.3G stable , then its not a good chip for OC .

Playing with it , its not fun, specialy at 1.600v

It looks that OCing its a game to you, We do OC, but we do it WISE .

LOL, No i take it seriously.

I'll try lowering the voltage. Many people do up the voltage to push the chip higher. I think i can make it stable at standard voltage. We'll see, I'll keep you updated.

Ok at stock voltage the chip handles 3.36 ghz. But when i push it higher it handles it for about 5 mins and then the temps get to high. Time to replace the stock cpu fan methinks!

Edo said:
Ok at stock voltage the chip handles 3.36 ghz. But when i push it higher it handles it for about 5 mins and then the temps get to high. Time to replace the stock cpu fan methinks!
I would say so, are you using the thermal pad or thermal paste?

R

Edo said:

Asus boards overvolts when idle and undervolts under load, feed it more juice,also 2.8M0 stepping overclock better.Here's a screenie with 2.4M0 stepping.

Attachments

• cpu-3388 copy.jpg
    cpu-3388 copy.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 79
Dam thats a good overclock, thats running higher than mine lol. As soon as i take care of the high temps. I'll be aiming for 3.6-7

Edo said:
Dam thats a good overclock, thats running higher than mine lol. As soon as i take care of the high temps. I'll be aiming for 3.6-7
thanks mate,highest I could do on that chip with stock cooling was 3.59ghz.
good luck with your setup.

Thats an a$s whooping oc of 1.2 ghz !! LOL. I can only dream of that. 750mhz+ will be good for me, then i'll get to building my OC rig, one actually built for oc'in.

Back