• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first post and a series of questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrmarcusvt

First of all im new but I have an understanding of overclocking and processors. .. but I have a question and im sure a few people are willing to answer a few of them. . .

1) I have two processors on hand:
2.0 A pentium IV northwood
3.0 GHz prescott
I am thinking about parting with te 2.0 in order to buy more goodies for the 3.0 Ghz is that a resonable idea?

2) I have a optiplex GX270 with a crappy ITX mobo and case . . . currently running 512 megs of ram b/c it is having some weird issues with the ram. . . stupid piece of ****. . .but i am thinking of keeping it around to use as a linux box with the 2.0 installed. . .

Should I keep it as a linux box or small server machine?

3) for the 3 ghz does anyone have any suggestions for a motherboard ram and case. . . I hear its not worth it to go with a cheap case. . . but im not big on the whole flip front and neon lights thing. . . i just want a standard black case with a side window so i can see when i need to clean the ****er out. . .im lazy like that. how important is it that i get a powersupply with a SATA adapter. . . i figure u can always get an adapter cable but yeh i have an SATA harddrive too. . .

4) mmm watercooling worthwhile for the 3 ghz i like fast and i love quiet. . . is water cooling a decent idea for the 3ghz or is my money better spent on just getting a decent fan and heatsink. . .this question kinda piggybacks question #1 because if the 3 ghz has limited head room i may not want to even persue the whole overclock til it burns up plan.

5) thanx for looking at my first post it wasnt so painful and i hear it feels good in the future. . . :welcome:

Whether you sell the 2.0 or make it into a server is up to you. Either option has merit depending on your situation. Any idea what stepping the 3.0 Prescott might be? Is it a socket 478? Depending on cooling, you should be able to hit 3.5 to 3.8 gig if it's a C0 or D0 stepping. Maybe a little more if it's a E0 stepping. Use a program called CPU-Z to check. What mobo to get depends on what socket the CPU has... if it's a socket 478, then the Abit IC7-G is hard to beat. A cheap case can be easily used. Look at the link in my signature for cheap cooling mods that can be done to a cheap case. Don't skimp on a power supply though. Watercooling vs. air cooling? The watercooling is more expensive, but has some good benefits. That's another thing that you'll have to decide for yourself. Welcome to the madness.

i will squeeze in a question myself if i may :D

i have a p4c 2.4c stepping D1 wich is holding at 3200 but it sometimes freezes and thats not when the CPU is 100%.. i cranked the vcore to 1.6 but cpuz shows 1.664-1.68...my temps are 33 idle and 45-50 on load..

is that much vcore too much? shall i leave it auto and do a droop mod (wich i kinda want to do?)

now to the other questions
4. ok watercooling is worth only if you do overclock... becouse if you dont.. you can buy a good heatsink.. and a 500 rpm fan (or a 12v very slow fan at stich into the 5v line => under 1000rpms)
2. dont spend much money on the case itself.. the PSU is more important...
Check out my PC
as for the CPU mortherboard we need to know what socket it is. For socket 478 try p4p800/p4c800 deluxe (ALOT of stuff in them.. mediume overclockers)
or if you decide to OC.. Abit IC7-Max3 or DFI LANparty

hope it helps
Q.

Back