• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i RMA? *URGENT*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrawlerZX

ok heres da deal i have an ECS N2u400-a mobo generic power supply athlon 2500+ from frys and after a black out it started being weird. it wont turn on nemore. but the fans led drives turn on. whenever i turn the powersupply on.

and the case power switch wont work. and it wont POST.

so i thought the mobo was the problem so i replaced it from newegg. today i installed it and it did the same thing. so should i RMA it or keep it. and what could be da problem? now i think its the power supply so tommo im goin to frys to check it out so reply fast plz.

tnx

If it fried a brand new motherboard (still causing the problems) then I would say without one doubt that it is the power supply, it probably has a short in the 5v or 12v line and you will need to have it replaced.

i cant find a different power supply dat has a da smaller connection to the motherboard. i checked the connectors and it seems to be working fine. i used a volt meter and paper clip to short and test out the power supply.

You meen 24pin atx cables vs. 20pin? YOu can get, and most psu's come with, an adapter that will work just fine.

ya i know i mean i cant find one like dat so i might just have to buy a new one. do u think that its the processsore theres no beeps or display only fans leds and drives run.

by the way is the mobo ok after being attached to the problematic power supply if it is that

im super limited on money ok i'll try psu first but do u htink my mobo got fried cause of psu?

The last couple times I've seen a PSU go bad, the motherboards were ok, do you have a friend who would loan you a supply or let you hook it up to your board? Or do you have another machine in the house, even if the PSU is only 300 watt or so, just that you plug in, and if fires up you would know. The motherboard could possibly be fried, but I am not sure. The fans run, do any of the fans connected to the board run? Like does the processor fan run or try to run, do the chipset fans run? If they run or try to, that would say to me the motherboard is conducting current and is probably ok. But you need to test it. Maybe go to a local computer store and see if they have an old power supply from an old machine they'd let you borrow or buy for 5-10 bucks and then use that to test. But before you go buy any big parts, you need to know if that board is still good. The way to do that is try another PSU.

update

heres wat happened b4

it wont turn just fans, case cpu theres not chipset fan.
so i got a the exact same mobo installed it and when i turned on the power supply nuthin happened so i switcheed on the case switch and fans turned on but no display so now its showing the same symptoms.

as i said now i got a raidmax power supply and fans turn on immediately after i turnes the power supply on.

so now i think the mobo is destroyed too and newegg wont RMA it so what should i do?

it said dat its not RMa-able cause when i logged in to get it rmaed the option to rma it wasnt there while for the other stuff i purchased was ok. i think it cause its a motherboard

"This item is not eligible for an online RMA. If the product is warranted by the manufacturer, please contact them directly for more infoRMAtion. You may review Newegg.com's warranty guidelines or contact us if you have any questions. MB ECS N2U400-A ECS AMD 462 RTL - Retail $42.00 "

thats what it said

That's strange...you *should* be able to RMA it. Maybe give Newegg a call for some specifics? The fact that it's a motherboard shouldn't change anything.

Back