• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Choice: Coolermaster vs Antec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenithon

Hi Guys,

I am about to choose a new case for my PC. Let me first say, PLEASE do not suggest cases not on this list, as they are simply not available here in South Africa. Obviously importing cases is also out of the question. I must thus do with what is available so your advice is greatly appreciated.

My PC consist of an A64 3000+, 1GB RAM, Gigabyte 6600GT, 2 optical drives, 2 HDD's and an FDD. I am looking for something which
-looks good
-is functional and well built
-has good airflow and cooling potential
-is as quiet as possible

With my budget and choice constraints, I have narrowed it down to these:
1. Cooler Master Cavalier 3. Comes with the 350W PSU which should be enough for me (NO overclocking done :) ). Will fit it with a rear 120mm and front 80mm quiet fans such as SilenX or Vantec Stealth.
2. Antec SLK-3000B. Will get something like an Antec TruePower 380 PSU, and fit 2 120mm fans in the spaces available (1 front, 1 rear).

Which one would be better to go for? Also just a few questions I had for any owners of these cases:
-how is the airflow in the Cavalier (with the uneven fan sizes, and without slits in the front for the 80mm fan)?
-how is the noise level of the Cooler Master 350W PSU?
-is the 12cm fan in the Cooler Master replaceable

Thanks and Cheers,
X

Last edited:
I hate to see posts go unanswered so here it goes. Hmm, i would rather go for the Cooler Master Cavalier 3 as it does look better.
The airflow would probably be pretty good in the cavalier even with the uneven fan sizes.
About the psu, most psu's don't make that much noise so im sure that it shoulkdn't be something you would be worrying about. And i don't know about the 12 cm fan. i would guess its replaceable...

Hi There,

Yep, its confirmed that the 12cm is replaceable. Ditto on the uneven fans - all the reviews said it was well ventilated so no probs there I hope :)

Only question is now with the PSU - any Cavalier owners out there? How is the noise levels of the unit?

Cheers,
X

Tough choice on the case, boils down to which one looks better due to the close sim in features. Both cases have decent rear grills that don't restrict airflow but I cut out the grates and use the classic round chrome grills to maximize air flow and reduce noise.

PSU - Look at both the CM realpower or Fortron blue, unless you can afford the PC-Power&Cooling. These PSUs have the split 12V rails that really help the CPU get all the power it needs. I've seen 50 watt bursts on my CM-PRs power meeter running heavy loads.

Hiya,

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately with the limited choice available here and importing out of the question, the limit of cases extends to PSU's too :( And also case variants - for example I know the Cavalier is available in the US/EU either with or without the PSU, but here only with etc.

I really like the Cavalier's looks. Was thinking of the Centurion 5 as that is available here without PSU, but I do not like the looks really. If I go for a case without a PSU though, I do not think I will need more than a good 350W PSU. I currently run an Antec TruePower 330 and it is very stable! I was thus thinking of something like the Vantec Ion 2: it is inepensive, very quiet, and seems to performs extremely well according to many reviews. I also like the fact that it has a 120mm fan, easy grip molex connector and pre-sleeved cables. What are your thoughts? Anything wrong with the Ion 2?

The fortron's I cannot get here - the decent ones I can get here are Antec, Vantec, Zalman, Thermaltake. The Antec and Vantec are my two best options though as the other two are very expensive here.

Cheers,
X

I would personally go with the Antec. They are both good companies but I love antec cases. I've had a Lian Li Pc-75 and it was nice, but I missed my old solid Antec case. They are both solid cases but I would choose the Antec.

I second the motion on the Antec since I've had their budget PSUs that came with cases running for years. The other 3 make excellant cooling products, but I don't know of their PSUs. My A64 3200+ is running on an Enermax 350 at 90 watts using onboard video, 1-HD, CDRW/DVDR, 2-120mm fan & 1 80mm fan. If you can, find one with the split 12V rails and PFC at 350 or above. Later if you get an A64X2 and/or a GF6800 or better, the split rails will help keep your system stable. I have a 450 in my P4 and even though it's drawing no more that 130 watts sustained while folding, the spikes in current hit these PSUs hard, the extra reserve helps.

Thanks guys. If I go for something like the Antec case (without PSU), would the Vantec ION 2 PSU be ok? It seems to be getting great reviews and I don't think I would need more than the solid 350W it gives out.

X

My focus has shifted towards something solid and quiet, and the Antec seems to take the cake. It has 2x120mm slot and TAC, plus without a PSU I have a choice of what to use.

Talking of which, my choice right now is the Vantec ION II 350W. It is getting great reviews and is very silent, has easy-grip molexes, comes with cable sleeving etc. I do not overclock and currently my 330W Antec does a great job so the 350W should be good, right?

The others are too expensive here (Antecs, Thermaltake etc.)

X

Back