• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Q regarding Gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
stage 3 means you dont compile any system tools or bootstrap, so its not compiling everything from scratch. That said, the install size can range depending on what you want to install, but the base system with no gui is pretty small

idunno246 said:
stage 3 means you dont compile any system tools or bootstrap, so its not compiling everything from scratch. That said, the install size can range depending on what you want to install, but the base system with no gui is pretty small
:cool:

Depends on the build used for the stage.

Also depends on what you emerge after the fact, and what WM and other apps you plan on using.

Id say that 5gbs would be a safe size for an avg install.

You could do fine with 3 GB I think, as long as you don't plan on installing lots of stuff, just the necessities.

I would say 5gb is quite large. 2-3 gb is closer to normal in my opinion.

True, the base gentoo install is much smaller,but there is no X.

My Gentoo install with KDE, Gimp, Firefox, Thunderbird and loads of other stuff is about 3gb. It's a good idea to regularly clean out your /usr/portage/distfiles folder, it just contains all the downloaded source for the packages you install. After installing lots of stuff in can get well over 2gb.

I've always made at least a 5 gig /root partition. But I have the room to spare and rarely fill it more than 2/3 the way. But it's nice to have headroom. Heck I've installed mandrake on a 2.5 gig hd. It wasn't pretty but it palyed tunes in the garage.:)

Back