• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How do the Dothans do for DVD ripping as opposed to the A64 and newer P4s?

so will my P4 in my sig "feel" faster while multitasking compared to say a P-m at around 2.5ghz?

or would it not be worth the purchase?

Daewood said:
so will my P4 in my sig "feel" faster while multitasking compared to say a P-m at around 2.5ghz?

The pentium-m will eat the P-4 alive, even when multitasking.

2.97 Datura3
Chip: 1.6 533FSB
Motherboard: P4C800-E Deluxe (droop, vcore, vdimm modded)
RAM: OCZ platinum rev2 TCCD 3200 (2.95v)
Videocard: AIW x800-XT stock
Cooling: innovatek cool rev3 block, 172w peltier. Single radi with eheim 1048
Current Speed: 2.9Mhz (265x11) prime stable
Current Voltage: 1.55v
Max FSB / CPU clock: 270Mhz / 2.97Ghz (270x11)
Max Voltage: 1.60v
S-code / stepping / pack date: UNKNOWN

24.94s super pi
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/datura3/timingsjp.jpg

Last edited:
Daewood said:

This P-m feels faster during apps than the 3.0 @ 3.8 and windows loads much faster.

UnderTheSun said:
Here is my 730 with Stock HSF + AS3.
Memory is OCZ 3700EB 3-2-2-8 3.2V

That's a great score, what temps are you getting? I'm pretty sure i could match the clockspeed but high ambient temps prevent me from upping the vcore too much.

An alternative to the piece of round stock is the use of a "channel" or "U" shaped piece of aluminum, depending on the size and used with the "U" on its side. I found some ranging from 1/2" to 3/4". Cross cut a piece and you have the equivalent of the piece that was made out of round stock in the post that I linked above. Using the U-shaped aluminum would require only making the cross cut and then drilling the holes for mounting to the mobo. I believe that the only concern is whether the piece would be strong enough, but since the "leg" could be wider than the leg of the cut out round stock, I believe that it should be as strong or stronger.

Sjaak said:
That's a great score, what temps are you getting? I'm pretty sure i could match the clockspeed but high ambient temps prevent me from upping the vcore too much.

50C idle/+60C load. Ambient temp 24-25C.

Reefa_Madness said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=933792#post933792

Has pics of a pretty nice mounting alternative which I think can be utilized, with the proper modifications, with both air and more extreme cooling systems.

Yeah thats what i did for a mod on both of mine. I just used 2 3/8 ' bolts though and offset drilled the holes so less ginding of the inside was required.linky
It makes for an abundant possiblities for cooling

You may have to undercut the base a bit to clear traces or resisters on the board. This is certain on the P4P800 SE as one of the holes has a resister very close to it.

Last edited:
Chip: 2.00 533FSB
Motherboard: P4P800-E Deluxe
RAM: 2x512 Corsair 4000PT
Videocard: Radeon X800 XT PE
Cooling: Water
Current Speed: 2.61Ghz (174x15)
Max FSB / CPU clock: Wont go above 180 for now.
Current Voltage: Stock
S-code / stepping / pack date: unknown / C0 / 02/18/2005

I thought it was better to get the slower chips, so that your multi won't be so high.

g0dM@n said:
I thought it was better to get the slower chips, so that your multi won't be so high.

With the newer BIOS'es that doesn't matter much anymore because you can change the multiplier in BIOS.

@ Sit Guinhill: Thanks, added :)

here is my system setings...
Dothan 740 [email protected] (13x193 1.5Vcore)
2x512 OCZ 3700 241 (482MHz) 3-3-3-8 3.3V (OCZ Booster)
P4C800Dlx bios 1021D.004
watercooling
37ºC idle / 42º full
SuperPI 30s
3dmark03 13800 (X800PE@default)
max fsb 200 (not stable)

PIcpuzdothan2.5.JPG

now waiting for a multiplyer bios to play with....

Back