• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
caater said:
btw - this is the BEST feature of dothan :)
i went from ic7/prescott to p4c800/dothan and no reformat/reinstall needed.
i just had to change "acpi multiprocessor pc" to "acpi computer" and that's it.

I was referring to me taking the whole (dothan) system apart before i went on holiday, and re-assembling it today, three weeks later. Usually when i do stuff like that, at least three DLL files get corrupted and one mobo capacitor burns out.

Still, yes, having to flash only the bios is a great advantage.

Okay, i've added the latest submissions, if everyone, even those already posted awhile ago could provide me with the missing details (if possible), that'd be great.

It's about time i posted heh.

Chip: 1.73 533FSB
Motherboard: P4C800 DLX (NON-E)
RAM:Twinmos 1G BH-5
Videocard: Powercolour X800Pro 595/580
Cooling: DD TDX DD bayres Heatercore YS-TECH FD1238 Eheim 1250
Current Speed: (270x10) 2700Mhz prime stable
Current Voltage: 1.60v
Max FSB / CPU clock: (300x9) 2700Mhz
S-code / stepping / pack date: SL7SA / C0 / 02-18-2005

Have another dothan rig in the works, probs a celly based one, should cost ~ 30 quid to get it built, with spares etc kicking about :D
How do these things perform? Shocking i'm gonna guess?

Highlander said:
Have another dothan rig in the works, probs a celly based one, should cost ~ 30 quid to get it built, with spares etc kicking about :D

I have no idea. The celeron-M is nowhere on my books yet - be the first to try :)

I just slapped in a 760. Need some advice on where I can go on the stock cooler or if my Zalman 7000Alcu will fit.

Started out at 2.4 everything auto. Seemed pretty good.

Would like to be at 2.6-2.7 on air, will these babies do well over 800fsb 1:1?
I have crucial ballastix memory, I would like to keep my fsb to under 235 and keep tight timings, 2-2-2-5.

curt123 said:
Would like to be at 2.6-2.7 on air, will these babies do well over 800fsb 1:1?
I have crucial ballastix memory, I would like to keep my fsb to under 235 and keep tight timings, 2-2-2-5.

Yes, they do well over 200FSB. My 730 will hit 270 with a low multiplier.

Gotta find the right balance between FSB and multiplier..have fun :)

Highlander said:
those c0 celerons are great, but no one has gotten theirs over 180fsb..
but if you get one with that price, that should be killer :)
just avoid banias celerons..

Well, its arrived, 30 quid for the cpu and CT-479, since the Ct is that alone here then that aint a bad price.
Problem is it is indeed a banias celly, performance is shocking :| 50 secs to pi at 1.9ghz, fsb maxes at ~ 120 this thing clocks bad :( Don't get these chips lol! they're awful!
All is not bad however, windows performance aint too bad, AND it'll run passive at 1.4ghz (can probs run it at 1.5-6tbh maybe more) at ~ 55 deg full load. Ran it for ~25 hours, no fan at all. Quite impressed, especially with the temps. Makes the chip ideal for a HTPC, add a silent GFX card and psu, and you got a decent HTPC for under ~ 150 quid.

Yip, theres 0.9nm "sonoma" based ones with 1mb cache. These seem to perform quite well, compare reasonably to their bigger brothers iirc.

Highlander said:
Yip, theres 0.9nm "sonoma" based ones with 1mb cache. These seem to perform quite well, compare reasonably to their bigger brothers iirc.

Hmm. If i can save some money i might just try one of those. If only they would clock as well as the regular celerons...:eek:

i'm thinking about building a little 2nd computer as a HTPC.. too bad p4p800-vm is the only choice.. though if i'll go with celeron, i don't miss the missing multi options with that mobo.. but lack of voltage adjustments could be bad.
this mobo has also 3mbit flash, so no crossflashing is possible..
another choice would be el cheapo dothan off ebay.
and another choice would be selling my 730 to myself and buying myself a faster dothan :)

Sjaak said:
Hmm. If i can save some money i might just try one of those. If only they would clock as well as the regular celerons...:eek:

Some of them do iirc, sure the guy i got this chip off had some that ran close to 3g's

Highlander said:
Some of them do iirc, sure the guy i got this chip off had some that ran close to 3g's

We need benchmarks of those. Can you research the impact of the cache reduction somehow?

Aye, just run the 730 and the celly at the same FSB/speed and compare the results :)
Will need a 1mb chip though, anyone else have a 1mb dothan kicking about?

caater said:
my 730 with a P4 IHS :)
dotihs.jpg

also tried yesterday one oldschool benhmark.. pcmark2002 :)
i'm pretty sure that radeon 9550 (slow) without drivers installed (slower)
was holding back my mem score..
PCMARK2002-cpu 9517, mem 17401
got also this superpi score - 25.875
all benches done with cold water and p4p800d w/800-se bios..
had probably some serious contact issues because i had hard time to get system stable even at speeds i had with inbox cooler..

+ added one suicide screen..

Hi, I can do superpi 1m at 2910mhz with my Dothan 740 (stock cooler). I got 5 cpu's to handpick though :) .

Here is superpi at just over 2,9ghz:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/AlexKok33/25secs.jpg

The time is very bad because it is on Windows XP and I'm having problems with PAT at higher fsb's were it is limiting my overclock so I disabled it. Vcore is 1.6v set in the bios but just under 1.5v real. I can probably do the same at 1.55v set in the bios. The motherboard is a P4P800-SE and timings are 2-2-2-5 at 2*256mb BH-UTT.

Back