• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another freakin BF2 black screen at startup thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buckbadly

I have read through the various posts on people having problems with starting the BF2 demo...I used all the suggestions except changing to the drivers that come with the demo...I'm using 71.89's right now and like using them from a stability standpoint...anyone using the bundled drivers? I've tried everything and can't get it to start...any more suggestions? I want to play this and see how it looks on my system :shrug:

No I haven't...I haven't seen them on Nvidia's site so I didn't know how they were from a stability standpoint. I'm running the 71.89's right now and like them....but if the bundled drivers will allow me to play I'll give em a shot I guess

afaik this is a refresh rate bug that has been in this series of games since bf1942 - never fixed in any of the patches / new game releases.

apparently the game refuses to start in anything but 800x600 @ 60Hz - if for any reasons your renderer can not do that then it wont start (IE refresh rate above 60Hz locked at say 85Hz may cause it if the driver is unable to change back to 60Hz) - in BF1942 it was simply the case of either going to the video.con and changing render.allowallrefreshrates to 1 - however that didnt seem to work for me in bf2...so I tried setting my refresh rate to 60Hz, didnt work either.

Eventually I landed on finding that bf2 stores other video.cons for you in your my documents folder and simply changing the resolution from 800 x 600 @ 0 to @ 75 (in my case) it worked - you could try this also, but I dont know why this requires different methods for the same bug as the older games :x

other video.cons exist in your bf2/mods/settings folder and its recommended you delete the profiles folder in bf2

hope any of this helps :)

ninthebin...thanx for takin the time to post...I tried that one as well...I got it to load by going ahead and using the drivers they bundled with the demo...guess I'll see how they behave and get along with the rest of my games in the next few days. :)

Back