• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 2: Technicial Issues and Support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok... I tried the patch last night, just to see what happens. After continual drops to desktop or random reboots I uninstalled my video drivers, installed a sound card (was using onboard), and I am now attempting to reinstall the game.

However, I've been stuck on some dam* client.zip file for ten minutes with my mouse/keyboard locked up. Sheesh.

Each time I've installed this game it's taken at least two attempts, very odd.

ok, so i've installed the game, and when i go to play multiplayer. i get a black screen -> flickers a bit -> crashes to desktop.
im thinking, wtf? so then i go to nv website and dl the driver off their site, 77.72. uninstalled my previous one, used driver clean pro etc. then installed the new one.
after 5 mins of fiddling around, i once again tried to start the game up. but with no freakin luck >_<
does anyone have the same problem or know a way around it? any help would be greatly appreciated thx!

comp specs:

cpu - a64 3200+ newcastle
mobo - dfi lanparty nf3 250gb
ram - 1gig ocz gold vx
vid - evga 6800gt
hdd - 120gb seagate barricuda
os - winxp pro

anyone else pop into the menu at random times? ill be playing and just walking around, not even reaching for any buttons remotely close to the escape key and at least once every half an hour I get dumped back to the menu, not disconnected from my current game, but put back to the menu

TheGreySpectre said:
anyone else pop into the menu at random times? ill be playing and just walking around, not even reaching for any buttons remotely close to the escape key and at least once every half an hour I get dumped back to the menu, not disconnected from my current game, but put back to the menu

Yep, I get this ocasionally.

flixotide said:
"There is a problem with your connection"

Have any of you guys experienced this happening a lot lately? Most of the servers I frequent tend to ditch all players very often or invidiuals.. much like mass kicking *thud you go" every 5 seconds a new player.

I'm having the same problem. Also, before the patch, I had dozens of servers in the 30-40 ping range, now 99% are well above 100, with maybe 2 or 3 in the 90's. I have lots of connection problems (none before the patch), some servers are better than others, but haven't been able to go more than 10 minutes without some sort of pause. Guess I'll go back to 1.0 for now...

Guys I need help. I can't even get the game to install. I put the DVD-CD version in my DVD drive. It pops up the "Select Language" Box. Then it takes me to the screen where you can select install. When I hit install, I get error message "-6005" and it says this....

Setup has experienced an error.
Please do the following:
-Close any running programs
-Empty your temporary folder
-Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setups)
Then try to run the Setup again.
Error code: -6005

Now I am not sure which temporary folder it is talking about, but I ran a disk clean up and it still wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

Do you experience this error with any other applications? Also what do you mean DVD-CD version which one is it? It sounds like something running in the background is interfering

1) Try running a defrag
2) If your pc is overclocked maybe try bringing it back to normal
3) Run a spyware/virus check
4) If you use emulation software (Alcohol, Daemon etc.) disable them.

Try using this program for disk cleaning, it works fantastic and its free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

dreamtfk said:
Do you experience this error with any other applications? Also what do you mean DVD-CD version which one is it? It sounds like something running in the background is interfering

1) Try running a defrag
2) If your pc is overclocked maybe try bringing it back to normal
3) Run a spyware/virus check
4) If you use emulation software (Alcohol, Daemon etc.) disable them.

Try using this program for disk cleaning, it works fantastic and its free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It's the DVD version, its only one DVD. I have installed it before but I just reformatted. I made sure nothing was running in the backround and I already use crap cleaner. No emulation software and no spyware. Ill try a defrag but other then that option I am puzzled. :shrug:

Last edited:
Check eventvwr to see what errors are popping up. BF2 is this crazy tap dance between drivers, memory settings, overclocking, and video/sound settings in game.

I had an issue when I first installed since my default resolution on my lcd is 1600x1200/60mhz and BF2 didn't really go for that.

Just keep messing with it, you will find the right balance of settings and such.

Hmm...Can't install Half-Life 2 either. Yet Warcraft 3 and Jedi Outkast II installed fine. I have no idea what is wrong. I set my rig to stock even though I know its stable where I usually have it and I still have the problems. Maybe I will have to reformat again. Sigh.

Well I really don't know what to do. Defrag didn't do anything. I also can't install Half-Life 2. It gives me some error as well. Maybe my new XP installation is corrupted. It's just weird because I installed Warcraft 3 fine, as well as Star Wars Jedi Knight II. This sucks though, I'm bummed out.

V10Ace said:
Fire it up, black screens....3 seconds later i'm back to the desktop. To think, I just spent $300 on a video card for this game.
I have to change my screen resolution to 800x600@60Hz for the game to load up.

Finally got it to work, guys. Ended up reinstalling fresh and just running that. Went in fine, looks good at 10 x 7 with full aliasing and settings on high! Thanks for your help!

Back