• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

b0rked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klutch

Registered
Hey, wondering if anyone might be able to help -_-

Not long ago I bought a new case an swapped everything over to it from my old one... but when I tried to turn the PC on, it wouldnt get as far as windows, stopping at different places each time (sometimes saying "CPU unworkable, sometimes getting as far as the boot sequence and saying "Cannot boot from selected device" or something similar).

I managed to get it running again by clearing the CMOS, but now if i try to change anything (such as fsb, voltage etc) it wont boot with the same problem as before.

Until this I DID have my P4 2.6C overclocked to 3.2ghz, but now obviously being unable to touch any settings in the BIOS, I'm stuck at stock.

Anyone have any idea what's going wrong here? Maybe I wasnt careful enough with static when I swapped my kit over? Maybe the CPU has (half)died? I've no idea.

I'm starting to consider buying a new motherboard and CPU because its just annoying.

Ma spec is:
Abit IC7
P4 2.6C
1024MB RAM @DDR 400
1 x Maxtor 80gb HDD, 1x Maxtor 200gb HDD @7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9800XT

Any help or suggestions MUCH appreciated, thx.

Make sure the AGP/PCI is set to "fix" and "66/33". Also disable the last 2 game accelerator settings.

i've had this happen before... i think the best thing to do in this case is
take it apart and rebuild, carefully do it all again, its a pain but its the best way...

Make sure your CPU/HS is mounted right so you are getting a good contact, try run barebones.. just gfx/cpu/ram/

your ram is seated right, your pci/agp cards are inserted correctly, also any psu wires which could be causing a short

and ofcourse the mounting of the mb on the case..

chipset/cpu fan plugged in...

few things to try.. hope you get it resolved!

(a new bios battery may help too... and a bios chip, as either may be faulty..)

-Webzta

Back