• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Desk? My New Command Center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can just see the hinges on the join just past the "10 o'clock" position lilxvietxboi.
However, what I am more concerned about is the fact that it seems you have a significant portion of a water cooling rig laying on the grass in the background (well, some tubing).
Are you going to put some kind of board around the outside of the desk, to make it more self contained? You could also conceal wires much more easily like that, by passing them down under the desk (you could even have a false back on it, so there was about an inch hollow for the wires to go through).
I think I liked the first set of legs better... meant you could have a chair on wheels and slide laterally more easily.
Hmm, this post seems like I am trying to slate your idea. I'm really note - this looks amazing, and I really wish I was able to build it (or have the amount of kit to make it worthwhile ;))!

VAdept here, posting on my friends account since my login requires my magstrip reader which is at home.

All total this cost me about $350 USD not counting the water cooling equipment. The hinge actually isnt in place currently, the piano hinge isnt robust enough and I will need to pick up some better hardware but for now I don't mind ducking under heh. As far as the legs go the inner post are now at an angle allowing the chair(s) a good deal of space to move around. The wires will be running under the desk, will take some pics of how thats done soon. Right now the last coat of paint is drying.

Big non-functional 'Self Detonation' switch is planned.

Also id like to add that is me in the pic :D

PS - Lain rules.

hinge idea-
a couple ( or 3) of Big Old Strap hinges might do you right. so long as theyre precisely aligned, they should bear the load and work flawlessly. local hardware store should have them. just make sure to put in way beefier and coarser thread screws so you dont have problems. allso, if the other end of the door rests on the structure, then little rubber or felt bumpers should do, but if they rest on a nailer (lip) thats worth screwing and gluing. all in all, as long as you overbuild the door and stuff, it should last a long time. regardless, i have no doubts it will :drool:

oh, and note dreamstalkers sig below :santa:

Last edited:
Add another :drool: Wish I had the room to do something like that...hafta make do with cables, switches and boxen everywhere for the time being. That control panel is awesome (I want one...).

How are you going to get it in the house? And where is it going to go? If I did that, I'd have to sleep in a hammock on the ceiling :D

Really looking forward to see this finished :)

this thing looks awesome. i wish i had enough room in my room to fit somthing like that. as is i have to crawl over my bed to get to my closet. lol

Wow. Its really nice. I hope your gonna use surround sound with that. (you probably are, just to lazy to read your first post of what your gonna use) :D
Love to see the finished product.

That self detonation switch needs to attach to a counter that will just count down from 5 or something with a beep for each number change. That would be pretty cool

Sweeeeeet! That thing is huge! Nice work, I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Are those motors!? And if they are, will they open and close the side of the desk? If so, that is one sexy beast.

Back