• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Desk? My New Command Center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is that thing going in the basement? Or are you going to push your mattress, dresser and all that other crap up against the walls of your room, like a real man? ;)

One suggestion. To compliment your control panel you ought to make banks of meaningless randomly flashing lights so all the neophytes know there is some serious computing going on (a la Star Trek), and they will be suitably in awe.

Its in my room right now with everything pretty much pushed up against the walls. Currently I live at home but that won't last til christmas. Im having electrical problems, the control panel was working fine then the power strips started acting funny, im troubleshooting them now.

Due solely to the fact that you used the word 'neophytes' this request will be done. I also may have accepted 'luddite' or 'prole' in its place :D

Edit: I painted/attached a large piece of peg-board to my 'work area' section giving me a place to hang my tools, I will post pics of it and the back of the control panel when I get back from class tonight.

you can take more pictures, or even reuse picture u took already, or pictures of where it'll go, of pets...of food..w/e

You ask and you shall recieve...

DO NOT DO THIS! IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DIE.

Mind you this is AFTER I de-soldered about 30 wires trying to find out what the hell happened with my power strips.

My new work area, woo.

And finally just some simple labels make it look much better.

Omfg Dude, You Rock! I Never Thought It Would Look And Be So Awsome!!

Great Job!!!

-------------------------------------

Ill Vote For You To Have The Desk Of The Year

Wow amazing! THats gonna be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun flipping all those switches...hehehe seriously I'd LOVE that

You cant see it in the pic but I wore rubber gloves and 2 grounding straps while working on that. About the sound, I only have my Logitech 5.1's they do the job for now but I will need to upgrade since I can actually position my speakers correctly for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

Im gonna start having to take donations if i keep adding features :p

Edit: Parts needed for any said modifications would gladly be accepeted.

Last edited:
Thats just the picture being funky, it actually says Mouse. It turns on the base station for my MX1000.

Edit: Ok to describe some of the more vague buttons

The first bank of switches provides power to the devices on all the other banks.

NAVI-3 is the name of my new computer, it being my 3rd custom system.

GATEKEEPER is my server which is soon being replaced with GATEKEEPER-2.

TEMPEST grounds the wire mesh around the desk (not done yet) and activates something that dumps white noise into the wireless band.

Last edited:
What'd your Mom and/or Dad say when they saw this thing?

So that air conditioning switch works too? Are there wires running from your desk to your hacked up window unit? I love it. Great job.

Back