• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Desk? My New Command Center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VAdept

Ok well, ive modded my car, my body, my chair, and my computer so whats left? Thats right, the desk. Well my old L-Desk was nice but it lacked room to fit my collection of computer hardware so I decided to build my own.

The desk is the shape of an octagon with a large hole in the center making it one giant wrap-around. One of the panels has a piano hinge that allows it to flip up so you can get inside much like a bar. Basic materials are 2x4's, 1x4's, and MDF or medium density fiberboard. The desk measures about 105" in diameter making it almost 9 feet. The desk will be painted entirily black and have custom artwork done to the top surfaces.

Of the 8 sections the breakdown goes like this clockwise from the door.

1: Door
2: Control Panel
3: Secondary Monitors
4: Main Monitors
5: Secondary Monitor
6: Computer/Server Towers
7: Water Cooler
8: 37" Monitor/Game Consoles

There will also be an extensive control panel that controls the power of everything on the desk. This is made of over 30 switches, 28 of theme are these which will be modified to blue. The switches are in a grid of 6 down and 5 over leaving room for the water-coolers fan speed controls and a few voltage readouts provided by modded Kill-A-Watt meters.

Heres the breakdown on the control box plans (pics of this unit soon)

Initialization: (Provide power to that circuit)
(1) Cooling
(2) Main
(3) Secondary
(4) Display
(5) Aux. 1
(6) Aux. 2

Cooling:
(1) Backup 1 - Belkin 1800VA UPS
(2) 3x Torin Blower Fans
(3) Gen-X Mak 4 Pump
(4) Air Conditioner (Ducted through radiators)
(5) Aux 1
(6) Aux 2

Main:
(1) Backup 0 - Belkin 2000VA UPS
(2) TEMPEST - Electronic Signal Shielding (Switch connects ground)
(3) Monitor 1 - 21" CRT
(4) System 1 - High Power Athlon 64/SLi System
(5) Mouse - Logitech MX1000
(6) Speakers - Logitech 5.1

Secondary:
(1) Shield 1 - APC Professional PRO7 SurgeArrest
(2) Server 1 - 1.2Ghz TCP/Network Traffic Monitor
(3) Modem - Belkin Cable Modem
(4) Router - D-Link Router
(5) Wireless - D-Link Wireless Router
(6) Aux 1

Sec. Display:
(1) Shield 2 - APC Professional PRO7 SurgeArrest
(2) Mon. 2 - 18" CRT
(3) Mon. 3 - 18" CRT
(4) Mon. 4 - 15" CRT
(5) Mon. 5 - 15" CRT
(6) Mon. 6 - 15" CRT

Auxillary:
(1) Shield 3 - APC Professional PRO7 SurgeArrest
(2) Aux 1
(3) Aux 2
(4) Aux 3
(5) Aux 4
(6) Aux 5

And everyones favorite, the picture so far (more to come):

im0009543fk.jpg

Its a little rough now but believe me the thing should be a piece of art when done. And yes thats my car in the BG, luckily you cant see its 5 antennas.

NICE! Damn, gotta finish this and build me one for $150

subscribed

_->
</3 -Thread
/
^ - My subscription arrow

:D

how are you going to get it in the door?

loks nice though!

i wanted to make my own desk, but i couldm't pass up my free corner computer desk! My bro got it froma friend who was moving out. The thing retailed for around a 100something bucks! im happy with it!

Ok to answer some questions. First of all I will be able to break it down into 8 parts to move it, simple enough. Each section isnt to heavy.

The breaker from my room is getting an upgrade, the desk itself will also have a small breaker box acting as a master power switch. I would like to add that the control panel will be attached to the desk itself but will have latches in case I need to move it.

My new power strips arrive tomorrow and I have no idea how long my order from all electronics will take for the switches but I can't wait to start wiring this thing.

*EDIT* This thing needs a name, suggestions welcome.

If you finish it with all the things you say setup (monitor, control panel, etc) you are definatly going on my respect list. I'll be keeping track of this project. Good luck!

Well I own everything in the plans or have its on the way. The only thing that will take a while is the monitors, I have 4 regular ones and my giant 37" one. The edge of the desk holding them is being reinforced since im using 3 monitor arms to suspend the 3x 15"s over the larger monitors.

WOW man!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: I bet you 'll beat NASA for your setup... You sure you want this to play Call of Duty or to monitor the military action by the US on Mars?! :confused:

I just wanna see the cable management on this thing! If you pull this off, it will be amazing! Is it just going to sit in the middle of a room?

I just got my power strips and switches. I have class tonight but tomorrow I will finish fitting the rest of the sections and attaching the legs as well as starting to build the control box if I dont stay up all night doing it. I took apart one of the APC's and its going to take a while to modify them to accomodate the switches but its definately doable. I should have more pictures by friday night.

Back