• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just installed an Opty cable... whoa...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I have a Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 running Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers and up until today, I was using the RCA mini connections.

As I was purchasing some other stuff anyway, I dialed up the cable section at Newegg and scored a 6ft optical cable for $20. I wanted to report the enormous difference in sound clarity, richness, and volume created by the digi connection versus the analog.

I had to go through and remix the EQ on my sound card and media player (Quintessential) to tune for the new and improved sound. Boy, I thought the system sounded good before, now I'm completely thrilled.

If you have the equipment to use the optical (or digital coax) and haven't yet purchased the cable, do so now! You will not regret it.

haha u just killed his joy for a second..but oh well, better sound has no price

lol... thanks buzzkill.

Actually, that's a great deal but the cable I scored has a bit more shielding and such which is good since the cable is routing past two battery backups and two 8 pot power strips that are fully loaded.

:edit: Ha! My cable was only $14.99, I went and checked the invoice. Linkage

Last edited:
I don't think additional shielding would do anything for interference on an optical cable. Though there can be other worthwhile benefits, such as physical protection and an overall more durable cable.

lol, again, lets just move to saying good job to moving to better sound quality, and let wedo bask in his own glory :p

Wedo said:
lol... thanks buzzkill.

Actually, that's a great deal but the cable I scored has a bit more shielding and such which is good since the cable is routing past two battery backups and two 8 pot power strips that are fully loaded.

:edit: Ha! My cable was only $14.99, I went and checked the invoice. Linkage
An optical cable doesn't have interference problems, it transfers light NOT electricity. Any company that tries to market "increased shielding" or "gold plated connectors for optimal signal transfer" or anything like that is simply trying to rip you off when it comes to optical cables. All you need to look for is something that is durable so it wont crack if it gets mildly bent.

Can you see the bits flowing through it, or are they too fast and short?

pfft.... I will not go into a four page disertation on the amount of research I've done at places like the AVS forum on cables, connections, transfer mediums, and shielding. I am well aware that an optical cable uses light through a fiber connection (hence the name "optical") but thanks for trying to set me straight.

What I should have said was "better connections, sturdy construction, and thicker cable shielding for protection to prevent my cats from chewing through it."

Dang... my thunder is gone. So I'll just turn up the surround sound and enjoy. :D

the cable I scored has a bit more shielding and such which is good since the cable is routing past two battery backups and two 8 pot power strips that are fully loaded.

...would imply that you honestly believed that EMI would affect your optical cable. Not trying to nitpick or start anythinmg, but earlier you explicitely stated you thought the cable was better because it would afford better shielding against the powerstrips. I was simply correcting your statement.

This might sound stupid (no pun intended). Wedo, did the opti take away/reduce any hiss that you had? I can't wait to get my 680's... but buy time I will be able to buy them, they will have 1040's out. :( (my mom tells me my 340s are too loud and they are only 33 watts)

haha we're taking away his thunder..dont do that...and to prodigious, read all the posts in the thread before you post, ;) and my cats chew cables too..really annoying

NiTrO bOiE said:
This might sound stupid (no pun intended). Wedo, did the opti take away/reduce any hiss that you had? I can't wait to get my 680's... but buy time I will be able to buy them, they will have 1040's out. :( (my mom tells me my 340s are too loud and they are only 33 watts)

You would have to think so. As the analog jacks are being grounded, and poor grounding can lead to a hiss. But I am most likely wrong. :shrug:

Ever tried chewing tin foil? For some reason, it hurts like hell. It's like some strange sharp, burning acidic feel. At least that's what happens when I chew on cupcake wrappers.

Prodigious said:
...would imply that you honestly believed that EMI would affect your optical cable. Not trying to nitpick or start anythinmg, but earlier you explicitely stated you thought the cable was better because it would afford better shielding against the powerstrips. I was simply correcting your statement.

EMI waves WILL distort light, just so you know, EMI is a property of artificial gravity, and gravity effects light, and thus, EMI near an optical, can be risky, but i dont think that his level of it will realy do anything, maybe a few dropped photons or so.

now if he was running it past a neodeymium based generator, then well, lets just say bolth him and his cable are ****ed

Ha the rain on WEDO's parade has chased him from his own thread.

I say enjoy that cable and the newly discoverd richness from your sound card..And like it was said before , Great sound is priceless....Enjoy wedo..

diehrd said:
Ha the rain on WEDO's parade has chased him from his own thread.

WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. THE CRYSTAL CLEAR MUSIC IS TOO LOUD!!!

:D

P.s. The aluminum foil is great but with two computers, monitors, battery backups, peripherals, 40 ft of 14g speaker wire, phone wires, coax for modem, etc etc... I'd need a costco sized roll and a weekend of work. However, I use foil on counter tops to prevent them from jumping up on them. Not only does chewing foil suck, for some reason cats don't like to walk on it.

I find a squirt gun works well too.

Back