• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop for university. WIll this acer ferrari 4000 run games too? Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mr.Guvernment said:
the dell XPS / 9300 is a dekstop replacement - my boss got one of those ferrar' with an XP 2800+ and it feels like cheap plastic crap!

What ferrari?
The dell would be a desktop replacement but it would also need to be protable :p id be taking it all over my university haha.
The 4000 is made of pure ferraris carbon fiber, im pretty sure its not crap.

Lord_Zoltan said:
Hey guys,

Im in love with this machine.

http://www.amdboard.com/ferrari_4000.html

Its only 2450 canadian. And that beats everything i have seen for what it has.

It will be just under 3grand canadian with extended warantee.
Im wondering, will the x700 mobile card be enough to handle the games.
I have a 9700pro in my comp now.
Id like to totally eliminate my desktop and just use my Laptop.

Is there any laptops that match this price with better performance.
I love the look of this .

Im just wondering if it will play my games as good as my comp now.

I have 2ghz 1gig ram 9700pro AIW.

I want to replace it with this laptop, im assuming i can play all the games i am and it will be fine. Is this true?
Also, im spending 5 gs on my tuition alone right now so i want this 3grand to at least last me a year of gaming if not 2, and I figure this laptop will last me through university practical use wise.

Thanks

Zoltan

what the hell?
i could get them for $2199 Canadian
Ok im buying it.

henesse said:
what the hell?
i could get them for $2199 Canadian
Ok im buying it.

where can you get them for 2199 canadian.
Are you sure its the 4000, with the specs i mentioned?

Thanks

Zoltan

IrishAssassin said:
Dell i9300, with 6800go will be very good and can be had for 2500.

Few questions about this Dell i9300. Why is that if i customize to the same extent as a XPS2, they do not get the same benchmark results, different VidCard?

Also, I have been told to stay away from dells from everyone i know, because they just arent reliable, sure if it breaks dell sends you a new one or fixes it, but i dont want to deal with that ****. My friend has sent his back for 4 new hds and 1 new mobo, its a ***** when your in college/university and you dont have it because of down time.

Acer doesnt seem to have these problems.. Also the 9300 is really heavy compared to the ferrari. Im wondering if this weight will be a pain when lugging around my textbooks + laptop.

and the dell 9300 weight a ton! my 9100 is heavy and the 9300 is just a newer model.

Also, I have been told to stay away from dells from everyone i know, because they just arent reliable,

Sorry to say but everyone you know, doesnt know jack! and likely dont or havent even owned a newer dell system. - Your friend who has sent it back - how does he treat his laptop, by the sounds of it not very well to go through 4 harddrives. i am rough on my laptop, i am talking smack it, dropped it and i have not replaced anything on it.

Dell laptops are some of the top rated (beside sager) laptops out there.

[EDIT] Dell are very good systems, you will always find people who will say they are awful, just as with ANy company, you have customers who happen to get a bad make, or single product, but to bash an entire company based on one person;s experience is not too great.

Also, many people will jump on the good ol "bandwagon" to say dell stinks when they have never even owned one/

Go to any forum, sure you see tons of people commenting about bad things, but just think of how many people there are having NO problems, they simply dont post they have a great laptop as much as people complaining do.

Last edited:
Lord_Zoltan said:
where can you get them for 2199 canadian.
Are you sure its the 4000, with the specs i mentioned?

Thanks

Zoltan

Yes im using it now :D
i bought it for 2199 from a special place. :D
Ill have pics up in few minutes just to prove it.

I have the 4005 which has the best turion processor available.

Ferrari%2001.jpg

Ferrari%2002.jpg

Just so you know its mine.
my desktop in my sig is also there.
Ferrari%2003.jpg

If you want i could pick one up for you for 2199 + 15% tax its up to you.

Last edited:
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. It was extremely cheap, which is the reason I got it. It can play games (MOBILITY X300) for only $772 shipped. If price is an issue, Dell will give you the most bang for your buck. If I was choosing a laptop for college however, I would be willing to spend a little extra for quality even if it means slightly lower specs. The Acer Ferrari is probably at the top end of sizes that you will want to carry around at school. The Dell 9300 is really pushing it size-wise, and I can see it being a problem to lug around.

Scott9027 said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. It was extremely cheap, which is the reason I got it. It can play games (MOBILITY X300) for only $772 shipped. If price is an issue, Dell will give you the most bang for your buck. If I was choosing a laptop for college however, I would be willing to spend a little extra for quality even if it means slightly lower specs. The Acer Ferrari is probably at the top end of sizes that you will want to carry around at school. The Dell 9300 is really pushing it size-wise, and I can see it being a problem to lug around.

i had an x600 which is better than the x300 in my compaq and it sucks as compared to the x700. i play hl2 and d3 with full settings to high.
I should start an online store selling laptop's only. I could get every laptop in the market for 10 - 20 % less. hmmm

my compaq:
http://www.battleone.com/pic/laptop/

Last edited:
my friend has a emachine i forgot most of the specs but it does play HalfLife 2, i think it has a amd athlon 3200 or 3400 64bit and a ati 9600 or 9700 graphics card and 512mb of ram... i think tigerdirect had something like this for $1500-2000

i know someone who has a sager 4880, which also has a x700 in it. it plays games really nice, almost as well as my 6600gt in my desktop.

Lord_Zoltan said:
henesse, did you get my pM?

you have not replied to it. Thanks

Zoltan

I thought i did reply.
i could get it for you but i dont have the time to meet up with you then take you there. it'll be the next time i go there that ill pick up whatever you want. its up to you.

Whatever laptop you get, just make sure it's good with power consumption. My brother bought a dell inspiron which goes through battery power like crazy. The thing is huge. He knew it was going to be big before he got it, but until you see it, you don't think about that so much. The thing weighs a ton and for any extended use it needs to be plugged into a wall socket, not really much of a laptop if you ask me.

Acer has about 3.5hours of battery life.
I dont think thats bad for i high end laptop.

Gaming probably drops the sucker to about 1 hour lol.

Ah well. It will be way more portable then a dell. Those 9300 and XPS are so big so fricken heavy, they are almost just not worth it.

If henesse helps me get the laptop ill be so happy.

Check out the Asus Z70V Refresh at www.istnc.com. It will be shipping in late July.

It is a 15.4 inch SXGA+ screen, Ati Radeon X700, carbon fiber chasis and ~6 lbsm, good battery life, basically perfect.

Lord_Zoltan said:
Ive read all of these.
Im waiting to see how well his laptop does in HL2, then ill know if its worth to get.
This laptop will be totally replacing my desktop, so i want to make sure i can play games for at least a year on it.

~Zoltan
I played HL2 at 1680x1050 with high settings and it ran smoothly, it looks better than on my desktop b/c of the higher resolution.

Back