• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop for university. WIll this acer ferrari 4000 run games too? Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Hey guys,

Im in love with this machine.

http://www.amdboard.com/ferrari_4000.html

Its only 2450 canadian. And that beats everything i have seen for what it has.

It will be just under 3grand canadian with extended warantee.
Im wondering, will the x700 mobile card be enough to handle the games.
I have a 9700pro in my comp now.
Id like to totally eliminate my desktop and just use my Laptop.

Is there any laptops that match this price with better performance.
I love the look of this .

Im just wondering if it will play my games as good as my comp now.

I have 2ghz 1gig ram 9700pro AIW.

I want to replace it with this laptop, im assuming i can play all the games i am and it will be fine. Is this true?
Also, im spending 5 gs on my tuition alone right now so i want this 3grand to at least last me a year of gaming if not 2, and I figure this laptop will last me through university practical use wise.

Thanks

Zoltan

Well the X700 Mobilities are getting around 2275 3dmarks, and a desktop like yours should get around the same, absolute tops. It should be faster than your desktop in every way, except perhaps disk performance.

itim100 said:
Well the X700 Mobilities are getting around 2275 3dmarks, and a desktop like yours should get around the same, absolute tops. It should be faster than your desktop in every way, except perhaps disk performance.

in 3dmark 05 ?
and is the x700 better than the 9700 (mobiles)

violineb said:
The 9700 mobiles were about equal to a 9600 pro, the x700s slaughter them ;) Have you considered any laptops with a GF6600 go?
http://www.discountlaptops.com/inde...odel_id=1141&category_id=39&category_theme=c1

Seriously I think $3000 CAD is insane ammount to spend for a lappy. Even a 9300 would be a better choice. But anything Asus is good too.

your link, is that not american pricing?
Its hard to find good deals unless i go to dell.
My friend seems to want to get a dell XPS2, but its going to be so bulky and a real battery drainer no?

I have not been able to find here in canada, a laptop of the specifications of this acer ferrari 4000, for its price. Unless you can prove me wrong, i might change my mind.
Also i have heard some issues of Dell laptops, out of 5friends that have had them all had problems. Lemons? Its hard to say with 5 people all not lucking out.

I want to stay away from dell, just from the sheer number of problems.
The 9300 was priced at the same as this only the gcard was 6800 , But that will make the laptop way thicker and not as thin. And it will suck the juice out of a battery with its massive screen and grpahics card.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1827540,00.asp

it doesnt seem to have a bad review either.

Thanks

Zoltan

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Sager 9880, if you want a gaming laptop it's a beast! Alienware uses the same laptops for it's top of the line models but charges about $1000 more than these guys. It's got a 6800 PCI-Express and both the graphics card and CPU are upgradeable. Website is offering an instant $300 rebate so you could customize a really nice rig.

As far as customer support goes, I burnt out my 6800 after some excessive overclocking, so I sent it in to their RMA department. They shipped it out one or two days later with a new graphics card, so I'd say their customer support is fantastic compared to Dell(my previous laptop). Check out their forums, because there should be a number of people with the Ferrari laptop there ;)

fuzzba11 said:
I'd recommend the Sager 9880, if you want a gaming laptop it's a beast! Alienware uses the same laptops for it's top of the line models but charges about $1000 more than these guys. It's got a 6800 PCI-Express and both the graphics card and CPU are upgradeable. Website is offering an instant $300 rebate so you could customize a really nice rig.

As far as customer support goes, I burnt out my 6800 after some excessive overclocking, so I sent it in to their RMA department. They shipped it out one or two days later with a new graphics card, so I'd say their customer support is fantastic compared to Dell(my previous laptop). Check out their forums, because there should be a number of people with the Ferrari laptop there ;)

once again this is american pricing and its already at the equivalent of my canadian currency. So the ferrari is cheaper. Yet it has more stuff at its cheaper stock price.
Help the canadian aspect of me here lol.

Lord_Zoltan said:
once again this is american pricing and its already at the equivalent of my canadian currency. So the ferrari is cheaper. Yet it has more stuff at its cheaper stock price.
Help the canadian aspect of me here lol.
You gotta check out the forums at PCTorque they have a whole Acer section...

Viper2004 said:
Ok, eh? Get the acer then, eh? :p

Lol, thanks for the help though.

fuzzba11 said:
You gotta check out the forums at PCTorque they have a whole Acer section...

What should i be looking for here?
Im wondering if i read up in the acer section ill get biased opinions.

also, the ferrari is 64bit.
Are any of the laptops you mentioned 64 bit or do you have to pay extra for that.
ie, the dell 9300 xp2 sager

Thanks

Lord_Zoltan said:
Im not sure, how could i find out?
Gee, I don't know! Wait! I do! I've only had to spend 3 posts spelling it out! On notebookforums there are multiple reviews of people who actually decided to go out and buy the 4000 and are giving their real world opinion on it! Here is the main post about the 4000

Okay okay, it's a sweet looking laptop though. You can call it biased, but it's just that all these people went through all the research you've looked at and more.

I gather it has 3 fans and one of them is for the GPU.

fuzzba11 said:
Gee, I don't know! Wait! I do! I've only had to spend 3 posts spelling it out! On notebookforums there are multiple reviews of people who actually decided to go out and buy the 4000 and are giving their real world opinion on it! Here is the main post about the 4000

Okay okay, it's a sweet looking laptop though. You can call it biased, but it's just that all these people went through all the research you've looked at and more.

I gather it has 3 fans and one of them is for the GPU.

Ive read all of these.
Im waiting to see how well his laptop does in HL2, then ill know if its worth to get.
This laptop will be totally replacing my desktop, so i want to make sure i can play games for at least a year on it.

~Zoltan

After spending $3000 on a laptop you will feel sorry. Just like I do after spending $2500 on my Toshiba laptop 1.5years ago.
Thanks

the dell XPS / 9300 is a dekstop replacement - my boss got one of those ferrar' with an XP 2800+ and it feels like cheap plastic crap!

Back