• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom painting your lappy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still I would be very hesitant in doing this. Unlike a desktop, a laptop is constantly carried around and bumps into things etc. Eventually the paintjob will wear at corners and palmrests and look like crap...

I would stay away from painting laptop, especially that warranty will voided after you take it apart, and what if you pull a wire and break it.

i know my laptop i've used for 2 years (dell) i can tell where sweaty palms rest, i think better paint would help that, but it would sill probably get messed up...although...you can just do it again every three years...that looks SWEET though

If you do a good job with the clear coat it will hold up better than the original finish. I won't be painting my new 700M until after the warranty expires :D.

J.

thats mighty sexy, however if I was going through that much trouble Id proly have an applique type thing on the back. but still darned sexy :)

Awesome paint job :) Based on how the original finish appeared to be pained on, I think it would probably hold up fairly well (especially with the clear coat).

/me definatly wouldn't do it on a still-warrented lappy though :D
JigPu

I say... take all of the guts out and take it to an autobody shop and have them do it ;)

m3x1c4nj3w said:
http://spiike.shadowdragon.net/laptop painting.htm

Check it out.

I want to do that to my i9300 when it comes.

I've been waiting for the weather here to turn, to do exactly this. When I started getting parts to build a Compaq Presario 17xx off eBAY, I started by getting a bare shell, figuring I'd wind up buying a bare mobo, then a CPU, etc...

I wound up buying an almost complete non-running system thereafter (and then managed to get it running). So, I've got a complete 2nd set of plastics to paint, and once it's done, and the paint is cured fully, I can just swap the guts over into their new home.

Right now, I'm just about ready to shoot primer....work has been keeping me from getting back to this lately.... :( So...

ozzlo said:
I say... take all of the guts out and take it to an autobody shop and have them do it ;)

....I've been considering this again... My only problem with this in my situation is the expense...do I really want to spend that much on a 3+ year old laptop, that has the graphics equivalent of a Radeon 7000 with 8MB video ram dedicated?? (IE, it really, really sucks for games... :rolleyes: )

I've had that link (above) bookmarked since late last year.... I'm going red with it, instead of blue, but I was planning on using that exact guide as I go forward. :D

JigPu said:
Awesome paint job :) Based on how the original finish appeared to be pained on, I think it would probably hold up fairly well (especially with the clear coat).

JigPu

From what he says in that guide (and my knowledge of painting things), multiple coats of color, and then multiple coats of clear ought to hold up fairly well. Then it's just up to the person to take care of it. But if you're going to invest that kind of time and effort in doing something like this, chances are pretty good you'll want to take extra special care of it after it's done.

Last edited:
Back