• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cpu choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sicloan

Hey all,
I'm currently looking to upgrade my machine. I need a good idea of what type of cpu will be best for me. here is a list of the things i do on my machine, and some requirements i have for it:

1. High end gaming
  2. I'm a web developer, meaning i do alot of graphical work. So photoshop / 3ds max / flash / dreamweaver all open at the same time
  3. multi-tasking, i usually have an average of 6 programs open at once when im not gaming
  4. i need the ability to switch from program to program FAST
  5. rendering 3d graphics is a must (although i may move to a seperate box for this later on)
  6. Listen to music while doing web work / gaming
  7. I watch tons of movies on my computer

I basically do alot of web developement stuff. Right now i have dreamweaver, flash, photoshop and itunes open. I would love to get a mac, but the price and the fact that they do not have game support turn me away. Plus i love building my own computers and basically have a passion for overclocking.

My current system is as follows:

• Intel pentium 4 (northwood) 2.6 ghz @ 3.2 ghz on air (250 x 13 stable)
  • 1 gig Giel pc3200 @ 5:4 ratio
  • Asus P4P800e
  • BFG 6800gt OC (agp)
  • Ultra X-connect 500w psu
  • 2 x Seagate Barricuda 120 gig hd's IDE
  • 1 x 40 gig maxtor (music drive)
  • Benq 8x dual layer dvd burner

My computer was pretty sweet about 2 years ago when i pieced it together, and then i threw in the BFG 6800gt about a week after that card was released. It plays games very nicely, although i do get frame rate drops, and i know i cant utilize the card to the full potential because of my processor.

Right now i am kind of split between either waiting for an X2 or try and get an intel 660, or... should i go the SMP route? I have about $1800 in savings and if i upgrade to pci-x i will definately try and sell my video card and boost my budget up to about $2000.

So my question is, what is my best choice of processor for what i plan on doing?

firstly, that rig is nowhere *near* slow, imho, id save more money and save up even more
but, going by everthing you said, the A64 X2 might be a good choice! :)

Ya can get 4 gigs out of a water cooled dual core Intel and maby a bit more.

From tests I have sen and from 2 proplrl who own them here I would go that routs and if ya got the scratch you may grab the extream 3.2 dual core with H/T,,,

The gaming performance of the A64 X2 does not show much (if any) of an improvement over single cores (Athlon 64 FX). If gaming is your primary use and you have the $$ to spend, an Athlon64 FX-57 or Athlon64 4000 with the San Diego core would be your best choice.

However, if you are looking for the top of the line and/or spend time doung heavy multitasking, then a dual core may be what you are looking for.

Read some reviews on Anandtech.com, they have a whole testbed sweet of applications and multitasking tests pitting top of the line Dual and Single core CPU's against eachother. May be worth your while to educate yourself so you can make a decision that is in your best interest.

But yeah, that system you are running now is not that slow either ;)

A64 X2 will be the best choice at higher price.
if u wannt something cheaper then get a Pentium D.

for what you use it for get the x2 4400. it has 1mb cache and will work great for everything you do.

Another x2 vote, with everything you do it's the best solution. Maybe invest more in some watercooling and up the perfomance some more. With 3d rendering it's gonna fly \o/. Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow :cool:.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I bit the bullet and decided to keep my current machine a little longer, and water cool it. So i should be able to squeeze some more power out of it and run it for awhile longer. And then save for a newer machine down the road.

From what i heard though, the X2's multitasking is not all that good.. so i dont know whats up. ill have to do more research.

that's good thinking - i've got a very similar setup to what you have now and use it for heavy multitasking as well. i get the itch to upgrade now and then but i'm thinking to wait a bit on the dual-cores, let them work out the bags first. shouldn't take too long, right? :p

Back