• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a "quiet" case - In a box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pswart

Registered
Hi,

I have a Vapochill XE II case and the noise is driving me mad!!

I thought of encasing the whole computer case in a "box" insolated with noise reducing foam. Obviously this would result in very high temps as there will be no air movement. To overcome this I intend building a "muffler" system for the air intake and air exhausts of the case allowing air to be drawn into the case and out. The rest of the Vapochill case will be placed in the "box" lined with noise reducing foam.

Attached a simple diagram to illustrate this. (Obviously will be reversed for intakes.) The "muffler will provide the necessary airflow and hopefully reduce the noise.

Would this work in your opinion?

Attachments

• Muffler.JPG
    Muffler.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 198
I think that would be to restrictive, loosen the bends a bit, and maybe put a low db fan as extra intake at the inlet. Or at the first bend for extra suction, Maybe an undervolted Delta as extra pushing.

//Christian

Sshadow said:
I think that would be to restrictive, loosen the bends a bit, and maybe put a low db fan as extra intake at the inlet. Or at the first bend for extra suction, Maybe an undervolted Delta as extra pushing.

//Christian

Thanks. Won't the undervolted fan with lower CFM cause less airflow eg. the one fan with higher CFM pushing against the fan with lower CFM?

Don't think that would be an issue if the undervolted sits in the beginning and the higher CFM sits at the third bend. I estimate the undervolted to help pushing in the air. I could be wrong, going to do something similar to my YY-0221 later this week. 332CFM deltas moves air but what a sound. So muffling will commense.

//Christian

Sshadow said:
Don't think that would be an issue if the undervolted sits in the beginning and the higher CFM sits at the third bend. I estimate the undervolted to help pushing in the air. I could be wrong, going to do something similar to my YY-0221 later this week. 332CFM deltas moves air but what a sound. So muffling will commense.

//Christian

Could be. The undervolted fan, however, will be the one in the "muffler", bend 3 to reduce the sound.

I would do it that way, so i could keep the high cfm inside the "box" and low cfm in/out as guidance. Will test it myself tomorrow. :D

//Christian

Sshadow said:
I would do it that way, so i could keep the high cfm inside the "box" and low cfm in/out as guidance. Will test it myself tomorrow. :D

//Christian

Post your results after the test please!!

And what about this? See attached file.

Attachments

• Muffler 2.JPG
    Muffler 2.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
You could use a simple resonator (linky )
That would cause a ton of backpressure, but would almost make it silent.

Or, maybe this....not sure if this would work(see attached).....theorically the sound waves would cancel themselves out. You could fill the chamber with sound proof material.

Attachments

• Exaust design.JPG
    Exaust design.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 104
The test went so so, i used my deltas inside and papst on the in and out. No other components in the box. I could still hear the deltas, just not that much, compared to inside the case. I better re-do the box and record the sound outside of the box.
It could possible the papst that i hear.
The 2 deltas 120/38, 323m³/h, 190cfm, 59dBa, modell: FFB1212EHEF304P
The 3 Papst 120/25, 94m³/h, 55,3cfm, 26dBa, modell: 4412FGL

This is the box i did. And on the sides (closed box), i used building foam too.
skiss.jpg

//Christian

Why go ask there, when one can discuss it here. :D
Its always fun, with trial'n'error, same goes for o/c:ing, don't you think?

//Christian

Back