• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a gaming-capable laptop: How much am I looking at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Hello,
I am interested in buying a laptop. I need something that will be able to run half life 2/BF2 and the like if possible. However, I don't want to spend TOO much. I also would like something with a 7200RPM hd.

Anyone know how much I would be looking at spending?
Thanks!

ahhh... You my freind are looking for exactally what I am looking for...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_9300?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

^^^ just click the link and then click the green continue button and customize to your liking.... PS. don't forget to get the geforce go 6800 and the 7200rpm 60 gig harddrive ;) you will probbably end up somewhere between $1700 and $2200 depending on what you need... but wait....

Whats this?

A $750 off cupon oh joy!!!!!!!!!!

0LQ49832L?KK0C

^^^^ enten code at checkout to receive 750 off any purchase of 1899 or more ;) I think it expires on the 30th so chop chop....

oh and don't forget to select the option for 256megs of ram and then buy a gig of trancend ddr 2 533mhz from newegg for $125...

also I would think that 1.6ghz -1.73ghz would be all you would need... but if you want more power you can do the pin mod on a 400mhz bus processor from ebay (kinda risky and you need to follow precise instructions) :eek:

if your interested there is a pin mod that allows pentium m with 400fsb to work as 533, in another words regular pentium M 1.5Ghz after mod is 2Ghz, but this would require you to get second cpu

I would just grab the 1.73, 256MB of ram, 60GB 7200/5400RPM, 6800, 17 Truelife, and 2200 Intel, 8X DVD DL Burner and 6 cell if its gonna sit on your desk mostly :santa2: I payed 1500$ for this exact config and this includes the 1GB from newegg I added. This was shipped BTW. Also if you don't have all the money, Finance it, and pay it off in 4-5 months. This is what I did and your first monthly payment is not till 1 month after.

I havent heard of many people having luck with dells.
My friend has gone through 4 hds and 1 mobo, sure it gets replaced but its a pain.
My other friends brother had so many laptops he scrapped it and bought another brand.
My sisters has been sent back 8 times. Her work has even recommended that she gets a new one not from dell just because of her downtime when she doesn't have it because parts that fail are being replaced.
I have a few other people that have told me to stay away from dell. My moms dell desktop at one time mine has ran without any problems so there are exceptions, but, from everyone that i know that has had a dell laptop they have told me to stay away.

Toshiba has a powerful laptop.
There is the ferrari 4000, and Sagers that kick. Look into all you can before you purchase a dell.

And I believe Dell is the only one with the 6800 vid cards and centrino... I got the 9300 with the GO 6800 about 2 weeks ago. Dell is not what you think when it comes to these new laptops, I was as anti-Dell as anyone, but these new lappys rule. BTW, 3D Mark 05 score of 4800 on a laptop is pretty damn good.

Yeah, 9300 is what I've been told to look at. I would be getting it for my birthday most liekly, which is pretty far off. (9-11)

Thanks for the help!

Lol stupid question but does dell usa ship to canada? I can never find these $750 coupons on dell canada and if i bought from dell usa i would be actually saving quite a bit of money. Sucks cause i dont know anyone from the US either so i cant get them to ship it to me.

Back